E10 fuel

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

With the introduction of this new formulation of fuel into the UK I looked on Porsche.com and found this.

https://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche ... 23-classic

The designation of E10 refers to the percentage Ethanol content of the fuel

Classic pre 1996 would appear to be not compatible.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Best to always use 98Ron in a Porsche and any classics, with the older cars it will deteriorate the fuel lines 😖
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

All the ‘Super’ grades will still contain 5%. The exception is Esso Synergy Supreme which contains no ethanol (except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland due to ‘technical supply reasons’).
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

🤓

ED66E775-3F48-4028-BFAA-8640AE2DCF25.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
GTB

Post by GTB »

Morning All,
Given that petrol/filling stations is the engineering discipline Im involved in, please remember that either E5 or E10 the legal wording and definition of the Ethanol is "may contain up to...." so even if the 95 Ron standard unleaded petrol nozzle is marked as required from 1st September to be E10 it may actually only have 4.8% or perhaps even 0.1% Ethanol and it still complies. Depending on your geographical area of the UK some fuel distribution centres have no facilities for introducing Ethanol into the fuel so even the existing 95 Ron E5 nozzles were still just dispensing 100% unleaded petrol.

DOT decided given the volume of older cars that cant deal with the higher Ethanol content of up to 10% then the easy soluition was to keep the 97Ron super unleaded fuel at E5 up to 5% the negative part is of course those owners now need to fork out at least another 15p per Litre.

The main and likley more critical thing with the higher Ethanol E10 content fuel is Ethanol is Hydroscopic to attracts and absorbs water even that water content in a humid atmosphere so partially full fuel contianers and tanks will have issue if not used regularly, also Ethanol is a detergent and will start to soften many rubber/nitrile type o rings/seals,fuel lines etc etc so aprt from your Porsche vehicles you also need to think about any petrol lawnmowers and petrol machinery you may have where people leave fuel in them over the winer as next spring the fuel lines may be found softened or indeed seals perished. So draing down these tanks and lines will likley be the best way to go if leaving for what the industry indicates is no use for greater than thirty days.

Many of the fuel retailers have before the introduction of E10 had to change delivery hoses and seals and fuel lines within the dispensers because they were not compatible with the new E10 fuel if the Ethanol content is greater than 5%.
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^^ Great post GTB, thank you. I hope you’ll stick around as I’m sure you’ll be able to correct us when we spout nonsense about fuel issues!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I've just made the switch to Esso, partly for this reason. I did my first 6k miles on supermarket Super, the next 13k on VPower Super. After its 20k service I filled up with my first 60ltr of Esso. Not sure if it's a clean air filter (oil wasn't changed), different petrol or the tenderness of my wallet but if feels noticeably smoother and more responsive!

BTW the increase in economy with V Power was +.13 mpg over those miles, although the first 6k probably had a bigger % of longer runs. If I see anything noteworthy with Esso I'll create a new thread.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
GTB

Post by GTB »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 am ^^^^ Great post GTB, thank you. I hope you’ll stick around as I’m sure you’ll be able to correct us when we spout nonsense about fuel issues!
Hi Nuclear Nick,

Yes I will be hanging around for sure having just joined the Forum, and yesterday paying my £3k deposit to my OPC for a new Gen3 GTS https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNTUV2A3

Hopefully my GTS will have been built and arrived before our UK fuel moves on again from E10 :D :D
Yes having worked on electrical installations and systems on filling stations and sit on the UK technical committee for their design and construction I do have a reasonable knowledge of the UK's filling stations and fuel infrasructure.
Will be happy to help if I can.

GTB (Gareth)
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Gareth! :)

That’s a classy looking & well specced Gentian GTS!

Roll on collection day...!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

GTB wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:01 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 am ^^^^ Great post GTB, thank you. I hope you’ll stick around as I’m sure you’ll be able to correct us when we spout nonsense about fuel issues!
Hi Nuclear Nick,

Yes I will be hanging around for sure having just joined the Forum, and yesterday paying my £3k deposit to my OPC for a new Gen3 GTS https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNTUV2A3

Hopefully my GTS will have been built and arrived before our UK fuel moves on again from E10 :D :D
Yes having worked on electrical installations and systems on filling stations and sit on the UK technical committee for their design and construction I do have a reasonable knowledge of the UK's filling stations and fuel infrasructure.
Will be happy to help if I can.

GTB (Gareth)

A warm welcome Gareth.

So the 64m. dollar question is....What brand of premium petrol will you run in your GTS (if you had it today)?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver