anyone had this before?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Macan bonnet1.jpg

Macan bonnet2.jpg

Concerning as it looks to be heat induced (or a rodent??)
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

does look like rodent damage. Do you keep it in a garage and not drive it much? Little buggers will take anything for nesting
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Thanks for the input.

The car is driven almost daily, always parked on the drive, but sometimes stands for 2 or 3 days.
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

CliveH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:22 pm Macan bonnet1.jpg

Macan bonnet2.jpg

Concerning as it looks to be heat induced (or a rodent??)
Been to Calais lately? 🤔
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

MrH, it doesn't look like heat damage from the pics, I would suspect rodents. Was the heatshield resting on top of the engine? Rodents will take it somewhere for a nest.

Hope the family is well.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Hope they don’t take a liking to your wiring loom! Cars have been written off by that. I’d set a few traps and get an electronic repellent device in the engine bay or in the garage.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

CliveH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:29 pm Thanks for the input.

The car is driven almost daily, always parked on the drive, but sometimes stands for 2 or 3 days.
Definitely rodent had it myself, in a turbo and in same location they also had a go at the wife’s Golf GTI. A few years back but think the replacement pad was app £100. Solution was some rodent pellets placed in a small shallow tray or lid top will do, place it somewhere suitable ( I had one on the engine cover and one on the ground underneath the sump) leave them for a few days to feast. Check that they have taken the bait. Oh and put a note in the car to remind you not to drive off before removing 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Thanks for the replies guys 👍

Looks like I need to buy a new heat shield and invest in some rodent repellent!
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Well those of you who voted for rodents were correct!

When I removed the engine cover, it looked like they had started to build a nest under there with leaves. They had also had a nibble at a couple of wires, which were fortunately still (just) in tact and have now been repaired.

I don't know what happened to the part of the heatshield that had been nibbled out as there was no trace of it so they'd either taken it away or eaten it.

All in all a lucky escape, although £236 poorer.

As for prevention, my research tells me that the smell of peppermint oil repels them - I now have a beautifully smelling engine bay :)
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

CliveH wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:31 pm Well those of you who voted for rodents were correct!

When I removed the engine cover, it looked like they had started to build a nest under there with leaves. They had also had a nibble at a couple of wires, which were fortunately still (just) in tact and have now been repaired.

I don't know what happened to the part of the heatshield that had been nibbled out as there was no trace of it so they'd either taken it away or eaten it.

All in all a lucky escape, although £236 poorer.

As for prevention, my research tells me that the smell of peppermint oil repels them - I now have a beautifully smelling engine bay :)
They're buggers. I live in a fairly rural part of the South Down National Park, and we get them in the loft of the house and in the back garden. I put bait boxes out but they just eat all the poison every week. Occasionally one dies behind something and stinks the garden out. I'd suggest getting some traps (you can get humane ones that just trap them but don't kill them, but they'll come back unless you take them very far away). Obviously leaving poison outside your house wont be a very good idea. Probably a good idea to call in a pest controller and get their ideas on what to do else you may end up with a similar problem in a few weeks time.