Auto Start Stop Not working

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Greglambert

Post by Greglambert »

Some may say this is a good thing, but on my (new to me) 2016 GTS the auto start stop function doesn't seem to be working.

I've assumed, as with previous vehicles I've owned, the default setting is "ON" so when I turn the ignition the green A/S/S light illuminates briefly and off you go, but if you want to disable it, you simply press the A/S/S button on the centre console. However, I'm not getting the green light upon start up, nor the yellow one when I press the deactivate button (that's a little intermittent, sometimes it appears, sometimes doesn't) and, no surprise, the car isn't stopping when the it comes to a halt. I've checked we're not running anything that might cause it not to work, e.g. sports mode, etc.., and the battery is fully charged too, so I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Is this a known issue? Is there a setting hidden in the menu I've not found? I've searched on-line and couldn't find anything so at the moment it all points to a trip to the local dealer as it's under warranty, but I thought I'd check in here first to see if it's anything obvious/stupid (!) that I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any input.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

From the Good to Know App:

Preconditions for stopping the engine automatically

Auto Start Stop function switched on.

Bonnet closed.

Brake pedal pressed (also for the Macan, Macan S Diesel: driver’s seat belt fastened and driver’s door closed).

Selector lever in position D, N or P or manually selected gear 1 or 2.

Engine, transmission and air conditioning are at operating temperature.

Vehicle has been driven at minimum walking pace since the last automatic engine stop.

The Auto Start Stop function is not available in the following situations, e.g:

When SPORT/SPORT PLUS mode is active
PSM off or PSM in SPORT mode.
In Manoeuvring mode.
When air conditioning “Maximum cooling output” is active
When the “Windscreen defrost” function is active.
At high altitudes
While adjusting the chassis level
When off-road mode is on
When an attached trailer is detected (bicycle carrier connector or trailer connector plugged in)
The Auto Start Stop function must be deactivated manually if a trailer hitch from another manufacturer is installed on the vehicle.
The Auto Start Stop function is available with limited functionality in the following situations, e.g.:

When the air conditioning or passenger compartment heating is operated at a high setting
If the battery charging condition is low
On upward or downward slopes
During internal vehicle test procedures, e.g. automatic engine checks
At a very low or very high outside or battery temperature
In stop & go traffic with repeated short stopping phases (depending on country)

It’s often the battery condition that prevents it working though as the system thinks the battery condition isn’t fully up to snuff even if the driver believes it to be. Try taking the car for a long drive of at least an hour to see if that persuades it to operate.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
andreas

Post by andreas »

In addition to Nuclear Nick's comments, I've found on other cars that as the battery ages the stop/start function can cease to work. This happened to my Freelander, when the battery was around 7 years old. A new battery restored the stop/start functionality.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Greglambert

Post by Greglambert »

Thanks for your replies guys but I've checked all the above already.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

You've puzzled me slightly with talk of a yellow light when you deactivate auto stop/start. The only indication that you've disabled the function is the red light on the centre console button. I must check next time I start the car but I don't recall noticing the green light at the base of the MFD illuminating at start.

It takes very little battery discharge for stop/start to cease functioning. On both my Macans I have set the MFD (that's the right hand dial) to display battery voltage. If the alternator is charging the voltage displayed is 14-15V and if the battery is fully charged it will be 12-13V. Unless the battery is absolutely fully charged, stop/start is disabled. Even on a long run, there are occasions when it fails to cut in because the alternator is charging then a mile or so down the road it cuts in.

Is the coasting function working? Slowly take your foot of the throttle at a steady state speed and the engine should drop back to idle. If it does then stop/start is enabled.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
penport

Post by penport »

Is the coasting function working? Slowly take your foot of the throttle at a steady state speed and the engine should drop back to idle. If it does then stop/start is enabled.
^this is the only thing I use stop/start for :)
Otherwise I've got it programmed to the diamond button for ease of deactivation :D

Agree with other comments that battery status is the biggest determinant
Yellow symbol means stop/start is switched on but the car has decided it cannot use it as one of the determinants isn't being met e.g battery
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:06 pm From the Good to Know App:

The Auto Start Stop function is not available in the following situations, e.g:

On upward or downward slopes
It may be in the "Good to Know" App but I'm not sure it's correct.

My 2015 SD scared the hell out of me once. I was on a gradient at a set of traffic lights with "hold" engaged, my foot on the brake and the engine had shut down. Lights changed and I took my foot of the brake and pressed the throttle. This disengaged hold and in the time it took the diesel to fire up and take load the car rolled back around six inches. Since then I always made a point of disengaging stop/start on gradients.

With the GTS, gently easing the pressure on the brake pedal is enough to get the engine to restart with the brakes still applied.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

... or giving a tug on the steering wheel if your foot isn't on the brake.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I’ve also found that if I’m gentle on the brake pedal when braking, both on applications and release, the system seems to be defeated. And short stop start journeys, especially from cold, where the system doesn’t get up to operating temp.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Greglambert wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:54 pm Some may say this is a good thing, but on my (new to me) 2016 GTS the auto start stop function doesn't seem to be working.

I've assumed, as with previous vehicles I've owned, the default setting is "ON" so when I turn the ignition the green A/S/S light illuminates briefly and off you go, but if you want to disable it, you simply press the A/S/S button on the centre console. However, I'm not getting the green light upon start up, nor the yellow one when I press the deactivate button (that's a little intermittent, sometimes it appears, sometimes doesn't) and, no surprise, the car isn't stopping when the it comes to a halt. I've checked we're not running anything that might cause it not to work, e.g. sports mode, etc.., and the battery is fully charged too, so I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

Is this a known issue? Is there a setting hidden in the menu I've not found? I've searched on-line and couldn't find anything so at the moment it all points to a trip to the local dealer as it's under warranty, but I thought I'd check in here first to see if it's anything obvious/stupid (!) that I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for any input.
I wouldn't say this is a rule, but generally mine only works in summer months or very very occasionally after a long run at this time of year. On most short journeys it simply doesn't cut in
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver