Help & Advice Needed Pls.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

As i said on my “Newbie” introduction, i’m brand new to the Porsche brand and know absolutely nothing about them. That said, i’m now the proud owner of a 15 reg Macan 3.0 DS.

It doesn’t have Nav, has the 3.1 PCM with CDR+, it also has a Sim Crad slot behind the drop down cover on the PCM. What does this Sim Slot do? If i go and get a Sim and install it, what services will this give me?

Also with regrad to the missing Nav, what options do i have? I have seen aftermarket units or add ons such as Pioneer and NM Automotive Car Play mods, buit are there any others out there? Is it worth even going down the Porsche route and having the Nav Module installed? Is itm even possible?

Like i said, i know nothing about Porsche and not a great deal about any electronics if i’m honest so any advise is very m,uch welcome and appreciated.

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

There are people offering services for the PCM4.0 version - i'm dealing with a guy currently to install 2021/2 maps and enable Apple Car Play in my MY17. He has many satisfied customers on the Canadian Macan forum and the 718 forum, especially those that didnt buy the nav module from the factory and he enables it for a fraction of the cost. Whether he could also do similar with the earlier PCM you'd have to enquire...

This thread starts about map updates on earlier cars, there may be something in there, but i've not read the entire thread

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/maca ... stem.9730/

This is the lengthy thread for PCM4 equipped cars

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/appl ... ls.166400/

The contact details are in the thread, contact is via whatsapp
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

there is a guy in Guernsey also but can't remember his detail, cost about £500 i think
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Lots of info / sellers if you Google including Forum comments.

See sample on screenshot

Screenshot_20211124-093115_Google.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Can anyone tell me what the Sim card slot is for and if i get a Sim what will it do for me?
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

I would think its for the phone , you can(could ?) buy dual sims so you kept one in the handset and one in the PCM.

Any more thoughts on whether its a keeper or return to Vardy's ?
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

At the minute it’s 50/50 mate. The car is fine (ish) there are a few issues which are minor in the grand scheme of things, Odd tyres front and rear, Dunlops on front and Michelin at the rear but all in good nick with loads of tread on. Service hand book is missing, could be a biggy although Vardy’s claim it has a full history. But the SatNav and the lack of urgency from Vardy’s to sort it out is boiling my p**s at the minute mate.

I’ve got my eye on a 17 plate, low miler with everything i need on a car, satnav, reverse camera, etc, etc, nice colour grey with a full history and only down the road from where i live. Saying that it’s an extra £6,500 more than i paid for this one but for me at the minute i’m sorely tempted to tell Vardy’s to come and collect it and issue a full refund including a years road tax, alloy insurane etc, etc.
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Additionally, if i purchased a used PCM with Nav Module installed, is it a straight swap for the PCM i have now that doesn’t have the Nav Module? Or will i need to have it coded? Or whatever?
Derek C

Post by Derek C »

Percymon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:19 am I would think its for the phone , you can(could ?) buy dual sims so you kept one in the handset and one in the PCM.

Took it back yesterday mate, just waiting for the money to come through as i have a deposit accepted on a 2017 Gen 2 with Nav, Reverse Cam, Sports Memory seats, Pan roof, etc, very nioce car, low miles and ticks all the boxes i want ticking.

For anyone out there looking to buiy from Peter Vardy’s, don’t!!! They’re very quick to get your money but full of BS when there’s any complaints and very slow to react to anything. The sort of dealership that gives car dealers a bad rep.
JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

Derek C wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:15 am
Percymon wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:19 am I would think its for the phone , you can(could ?) buy dual sims so you kept one in the handset and one in the PCM.

Took it back yesterday mate, just waiting for the money to come through as i have a deposit accepted on a 2017 Gen 2 with Nav, Reverse Cam, Sports Memory seats, Pan roof, etc, very nioce car, low miles and ticks all the boxes i want ticking.

For anyone out there looking to buiy from Peter Vardy’s, don’t!!! They’re very quick to get your money but full of BS when there’s any complaints and very slow to react to anything. The sort of dealership that gives car dealers a bad rep.
Sounds like you made a wise choice👍
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White