Year 2 Inspection Service Costs

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

macanese wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:32 am My recent research on servicing costs and options for gen 3 base macan outside opc network, reveal:

1. variable period oil and filter change with valvoline c20 approved oil and Mann filters which meet block exemption rules and service indicator reset at local NTS for £98.
2. brake fluid change at 2 years for £40 at Halfords.
3. mann charcoal pollen filter change at 2 years for £35 at Halfords.
4. 30 point visual inspection at 2 years as per porsche schedule for £30 at Halfords.

Note opc quoted c. £440 oil and £740 2 year inc oil. Above shows 98v440 and 203v742 while maintaining warranty and with more frequent oil changes!

All work this is documented and covered by vat invoice and therefore satisfies block exemption and warranty requirements.

I have personal experience using NTS with oil change on our mini cooper f56 which was excellent. For these prices I would consider an annual/10000mile oil change as per porsche USA maintenance schedules as preferable and cost effective. What are others thoughts? Hope this is useful for your consideration when talking to opc re quoted costs

I will explore other options with local indy as well as previously suggested.

I have found that OPCs are often willing to knock a bit off, when presented with a lower quote from a competitor, but don’t think they’d get anywhere near the prices above, some of which are virtually loss-leaders.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

macanese

Post by macanese »

Thanks bluesnose1812. I intend to keep outside warranty period. I want to increase oil change frequency to ensure longevity but cannot at opc prices. On what basis do you estimate reduced values? Have you had a specific example where an opc or an other trader offered 3-4k less?
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

macanese wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:07 pm Thanks bluesnose1812. I intend to keep outside warranty period. I want to increase oil change frequency to ensure longevity but cannot at opc prices. On what basis do you estimate reduced values? Have you had a specific example where an opc or an other trader offered 3-4k less?
No. As I said it was an educated guess. An OPC when selling it wouldn't be able to say it had been serviced by Porsche and guarantee that approved oils and parts had been fitted, regardless of any evidence (invoices, logs etc) provided by you to say that it had. You may have been duped by your mechanic.

So naturally he wouldn't be able to sell it for the same price as an approved car. I would say 5-10% would be a reasonable discount. So what you save in servicing would be lost on resale. Any excuse, and a second hand car salesman would discount it.

Of course if it's a keeper then the longer you own it the more you save on servicing and the less you lose in depreciation.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

May be worth checking the relevant pages in your service book. Noticed in mine book dated 03/16) that it says the 2yr inspection for the lifelong warranty is at no cost to customer. Maybe it changed in latter years but certainly worth a look through before you get the OPC fleece over the eyes
StonesYard

Post by StonesYard »

My GTS MY20 is due it's first 2 year service/inspection next month so I have phoned around and these are the updated prices for a range of OPC in the South, all are for a 2 year service/inspection including oil and brake fluid change:

Portsmouth £688
Bournemouth £697
Guildford £827
Brooklands £718
Tonbridge £757

Settled on Portsmouth, which is fortunately the cheapest and closest, but had to have an interesting discussion on the roof & door drains which they were insisting needed to be cleaned at an additional charge of £460, irrelevant of whether it was required or not, otherwise they would note against the car I had refused and this would void any future warranty claims for water ingress!

After two conversations, and an investigation on their part, it was found Porsche issued an update on 10th January 2021 which instructs the OPC to check the drains as part of the service/inspection at no extra charge, and only complete any cleaning if the test fails.

Hope this helps?
Chris

Macan GTS in Carmine Red (on order)
Macan GTS (MY20) in Volcano Grey with plenty of “smiles per mile”
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Stone yards, thank you. Very useful information. Does that include a loan car for the day?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
StonesYard

Post by StonesYard »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:21 pm Stone yards, thank you. Very useful information. Does that include a loan car for the day?
Yes it does, no charge except for fuel.
Chris

Macan GTS in Carmine Red (on order)
Macan GTS (MY20) in Volcano Grey with plenty of “smiles per mile”
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

StonesYard wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 pm My GTS MY20 is due it's first 2 year service/inspection next month so I have phoned around and these are the updated prices for a range of OPC in the South, all are for a 2 year service/inspection including oil and brake fluid change:

Portsmouth £688
Bournemouth £697
Guildford £827
Brooklands £718
Tonbridge £757

Settled on Portsmouth, which is fortunately the cheapest and closest, but had to have an interesting discussion on the roof & door drains which they were insisting needed to be cleaned at an additional charge of £460, irrelevant of whether it was required or not, otherwise they would note against the car I had refused and this would void any future warranty claims for water ingress!

After two conversations, and an investigation on their part, it was found Porsche issued an update on 10th January 2021 which instructs the OPC to check the drains as part of the service/inspection at no extra charge, and only complete any cleaning if the test fails.

Hope this helps?
Great info.
All
If drains are checked and found to be blocked, does this not mean that the system intended to drain them has failed and is therefore a warranty fix??
Thoughts?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Jon A wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:29 pm
StonesYard wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 pm My GTS MY20 is due it's first 2 year service/inspection next month so I have phoned around and these are the updated prices for a range of OPC in the South, all are for a 2 year service/inspection including oil and brake fluid change:

Portsmouth £688
Bournemouth £697
Guildford £827
Brooklands £718
Tonbridge £757

Hope this helps?
Great info.
All
If drains are checked and found to be blocked, does this not mean that the system intended to drain them has failed and is therefore a warranty fix??
Thoughts?

I like your optimistic thinking! ;)

Maybe the Porsche update from 10th Jan 2021 may shed some light? :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

I have been using South London since it opened for my 911 and now Macan as well. Previously used Tonbridge, but SL is much closer for me.

Always check prices between Tonbridge, SL and East London. SL always cheaper and great service. Even for my 12 year major service plus other bits(!) on my 911, SL were cheapest last year; and only £150 more than Indi.

So, Macan is due 2nd service (main), plus BF and apparently ‘recommended’ drain clear. These are the quotes I got:

1. SL - £808!
2. EL - 710…
3. Tonbridge - £685…

I called SL and simply asked what was going on, especially given the above history. One of their senior guys then spoke to me and said he would review. 10 mins later got a call to say they will do all items for £575!! Job done, but…..

Go figure.
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0