Fuel rationing.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:07 am
TheTraveller wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:01 am
BanZ wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:19 am

There are some countries in the EU I think we can learn a lot from in terms of public welfare, I personally wouldn’t put Portugal on that list. As for the mechanism of taking public money to offset real world fuel increases I can’t see the argument for it, to generate that money either you have to tax some people more or you fund something less.
Portugal has just had its General Election. Costa who was re elected, promised the working class, a vast increase in basic pay, and other financial elements. And put them ahead of businesses, who in effect fund the economy. This logic deters businesses from investing in the Country, which compared to some is classed as poor. The tax system can be very harsh.
He won with an increased majority.
Although Portugal had a massive loan from the EU some years ago, it was repaid.

The thing I love about the Portuguese speed cameras is that retribution is instant. There's a big sign and if you go past them over the limit then the traffic lights on the pelican crossing 200m further on changes to red - both ways. I'm amazed the innocent driver coming the other way doesn't get more agitated. I only made the mistake once simply because I didn't understand the sign.

It is the honest way to calm traffic speeds and works. Not a cash cow to milk visitors to an area.
+1 to that.

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

“The situation is made worse because Europe doesn’t just import finished diesel from Russia, but also semi-processed oil that it further refines to make diesel. The lack of that feedstock, including vacuum gas-oil and straight run fuel-oil, is forcing some refiners to cut supplies. Both Shell Plc and OMV AG have started to restrict their wholesale supplies. OilX, a consultant, has told clients it sees ‘a real risk of physical shortages of diesel in Europe.’ Privately, oil traders and oil companies say the same. No one wants to raise the alarm, fearing a run on gas stations, but everyone is quite worried.

“If nothing changes, by early April, some European countries may need to restrict diesel sales to conserve supplies.”
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

nsm3 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:41 pm “The situation is made worse because Europe doesn’t just import finished diesel from Russia, but also semi-processed oil that it further refines to make diesel. The lack of that feedstock, including vacuum gas-oil and straight run fuel-oil, is forcing some refiners to cut supplies. Both Shell Plc and OMV AG have started to restrict their wholesale supplies. OilX, a consultant, has told clients it sees ‘a real risk of physical shortages of diesel in Europe.’ Privately, oil traders and oil companies say the same. No one wants to raise the alarm, fearing a run on gas stations, but everyone is quite worried.

“If nothing changes, by early April, some European countries may need to restrict diesel sales to conserve supplies.”
Which, on the face of it is fine for those of us who don’t drive oil burners, except for the minor detail that most delivery drivers do. Ironically I suspect the petrol tankers probably run on diesel, so…..