Trickle charger but no mains power

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:26 pm Whilst I'll be using my Macan regularly through the winter, the 911 will probably spend periods of weeks not being used, although I don't plan to hibernate it completely.

The 992 has a lightweight battery so I'd like to keep it in good shape however the underground garage it's stored in doesn't have any mains power. That's annoying but at least it's a good explanation to the wife re why we haven't gone EV :lol:

I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything trickle charger related.

Do units exist that I can charge up at home, and then attach to the car for a period of weeks, and then recharge the charger every so often?

Thanks for any advice from those here who know about these things
In answer to your question yes.

A battery powered Mains Inverter will give you 240v wherever you want it.

They range from a simple Ryobi Mains Inverter tools (c£50 + £120 for a 5A battery & charger) where you simply plug in their standard 18v batteries up to an Ecoflow Delta with its 2000w output and up to other units costing many thousands.

I assumed that your Underground parking is adequately ventilated and open enough to daylight to locate a solar panel, otherwise the Ctek Free less the solar panel would probably need frequent charging.

Also assume that the underground parking is part of a secure block of Flats, if so then getting power installed into the parking area will be something that will be required when EV’s are the only new vehicle option so kicking the ball rolling now may not be a bad thing.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:20 pm
FirstSeaLord wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:26 pm Whilst I'll be using my Macan regularly through the winter, the 911 will probably spend periods of weeks not being used, although I don't plan to hibernate it completely.

The 992 has a lightweight battery so I'd like to keep it in good shape however the underground garage it's stored in doesn't have any mains power. That's annoying but at least it's a good explanation to the wife re why we haven't gone EV :lol:

Do units exist that I can charge up at home, and then attach to the car for a period of weeks, and then recharge the charger every so often?

They range from a simple Ryobi Mains Inverter tools (c£50 + £120 for a 5A battery & charger) where you simply plug in their standard 18v batteries up to an Ecoflow Delta with its 2000w output and up to other units costing many thousands.

I assumed that your Underground parking is adequately ventilated and open enough to daylight to locate a solar panel, otherwise the Ctek Free less the solar panel would probably need frequent charging.

Also assume that the underground parking is part of a secure block of Flats, if so then getting power installed into the parking area will be something that will be required when EV’s are the only new vehicle option so kicking the ball rolling now may not be a bad thing.
Indeed. The management company has looked at getting power down there to provide charging for the c.50 spaces down there but have so far baulked at the cost.
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Guy

Post by Guy »

If there's mains lighting in the underground garage then it would be pretty simple (and cheap) to run a single fused spur to a mains socket. Of course other owners may complain that they are funding your electricity, but current draw would be minimal.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Guy wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:58 am If there's mains lighting in the underground garage then it would be pretty simple (and cheap) to run a single fused spur to a mains socket. Of course other owners may complain that they are funding your electricity, but current draw would be minimal.
Agreed. A CTEK charger at maximum charging rate and voltage has a power demand of roughly 75W. A 3A fuse in the fused spur would protect the lighting circuit.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

As I've said before I despair at DIY mechanics, that don't know, the full story.
It is a good practice to run an engine up to full operating temp, of a stored vehicle. The engine does get hot enough, more so than a short run to the local shops. There are other systems on the vehicle that can benefit, a run. But if it's stored and off roaded, then then running the engine up regularly, would be an absolute benefit.
And that's why the engines of display aircraft in museums where possible, have the same procedure implemented. As most of them have no C of A to fly.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I claim no expertise on petrol engines. During the late 1970s there was industrial action involving electricity generators which resulted in power cuts. British Rail had new diesel locomotives with auxiliary alternators. Running these at fixed speeds produced three phase power at 50Hz so they were used to provide power to the signals during power cuts. However the load on the diesel engine was very low, compared to providing traction power, and every locomotive used for this purpose suffered glazed cylinder liners. The engines had to be stripped down and the cylinders "stoned" to remove the glazing. The point of my story is that it's very different running an engine at no load compared to full load.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:14 am As I've said before I despair at DIY mechanics, that don't know, the full story.
Would you care to enlarge on this?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

TheTraveller wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:14 am As I've said before I despair at DIY mechanics, that don't know, the full story.
It is a good practice to run an engine up to full operating temp, of a stored vehicle. The engine does get hot enough, more so than a short run to the local shops. There are other systems on the vehicle that can benefit, a run. But if it's stored and off roaded, then then running the engine up regularly, would be an absolute benefit.
And that's why the engines of display aircraft in museums where possible, have the same procedure implemented. As most of them have no C of A to fly.
Very few if any aviation museum's are allowed to do that on H&S grounds, as static exhibits have the engines inhibited. Some private collections, and external exhibits where they can be taxied (like Mossie and Just Jane at East Kirkby) and some of the outside airframes at Gatwick museum are sometimes ground run where possible, but they are exceptions not the norm. The fuel degradation isn't an issue with a jet or a big piston engine engine using AVTUR or AVGAS as no ethanol content.

I don't know of one professional mechanic/restorer that recommends running an engine alone over a winter layup. Its either don't run, and layup properly or drive it once a month on suitable days and get everything up to temp, including heating/air con systems, and other functions.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

FirstSeaLord wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:54 am
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:20 pm

Indeed. The management company has looked at getting power down there to provide charging for the c.50 spaces down there but have so far baulked at the cost.
That I can equate too.

You cannot simply add in a circuit to the nearest lighting point, think Grenfell Tower where a bodge job was installed under very dubious standards.

If a top end 7kW home charge point costs £1200 so say £50,000 to install 50
Add the cost of a new electrical distribution panel to provide power for the 50 charge points
Upgrading the incoming electrical supply
Install SWA cable to each charge point
Testing and commissioning
I could easily see all that costing £200,000

If it is within the South East then my figures could be way under.

Assuming of course that the car parking has adequate ventilation, sprinklers and a fire alarm system and there is the physical space to install and cable the new distribution panel which would be c2m high, 1m wide, 0.5m deep and require space around it for the cabling,

If not put the flat on the market and move ;-)
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

They were talking £500k+, which rather put them off despite them clearly wanting to electrify.

I live nearby and rent my two spaces, which I'm lucky to have in such close proximity to my house - so there are very few other options available - and no scope to start installing my own sockets via a spur
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)