Loud Creaking Noise

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
LukeRodrigues

Post by LukeRodrigues »

Hi all, first post here, sorry if it’s in the wrong section.

I bought my 2015 Macan S Diesel a few weeks ago and I absolute love it! There’s just one thing I noticed towards the end of the 300mile trip back, a loud creak coming from the drivers side behind the dashboard/wheel area.

At first it was when going over a speed hump whilst braking, so I thought it has to be the shock absorbers, braking compresses the shocks at the front then going over the speed hump compresses it further and that’s when I heard the noise.

But after driving some more and trying to reproduce it, I noticed it could occur when going around corners or going straight on a relatively flat and smooth road. There’s just no real consistency as to when it happens - if that makes sense?

I took it to my local garage, they found that someone had installed the wrong side lower control arm on the driver’s side. They replaced it, but that didn’t seem to make a difference. They kept it for another 3 days and said they couldn’t find anything wrong with the rest of the suspension and suggested it might be body panels but they didn’t have the time to strip it down and check.

I’ve put a link to a video of the noise being reproduced, you can hear it clearly around the middle/end of the video (the high pitch squeak is my wet shoe on the pedal).

I’ve gone through a lot of posts here and so far none of the suggestions seemed to have solved it. I’ve tried:
  • Hood realignment (not 100% accurate, but pretty close and better than it was before)
    Replacing the rubber stops/clips at the back of the hood (part number: 95B863237A and 95B863238A)
    Coated all contact points and hinges under the hood with half a can of WD40 silicone grease
    I’ve applied pressure on the shock absorber from above to compress it whilst the car’s stationary, and can’t reproduce it​
    Pushing on the hood, wing, A-pillar area doesn’t reproduce it
    Pushing around the dash and centre console area doesn’t reproduce it
    I haven’t checked the brake clips yet, but it’s not so much of a rattle, more of a creak, so didn’t think it would be those.
I’m at a loss as to what else it could be! Not sure what else I could be missing. I’m probably going to end up taking it into my local Porsche dealer, but I’ve got a feeling the investigation and fix could end up getting quite expensive!

Any suggestions before I give them a call?

Thanks in advanced!

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

I’d call them anyway. Surely it’s under warranty, so shouldn’t cost you a penny
LukeRodrigues

Post by LukeRodrigues »

Hey, thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t a Porsche used approved one, it was through another general car dealer in Wales. It came with an AutoGuard warranty, so fingers crossed it’ll be covered under that!
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

It should. But if not, then you could quite rightly under the sales of good act request your money back, or insist the dealer but the fault right.
GWL

Post by GWL »

That sounds bad / worrying / annoying. Take it back.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
LukeRodrigues

Post by LukeRodrigues »

Appreciate all the feedback guys.

I’ve emailed the dealer with all of the info, pics and vids and will start the process of getting it returned.

It’s a shame because otherwise it’s an amazing car!
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I know this is a long shot.
I had a similar noise on my 968, after a few months from purchasing it from new. I realised what it was. It was the windscreen which was creaking in the bodywork, in the bottom corner above the dash. It was remedied at the Porsche dealers, by removing the windscreen and resealing it. After this it was noise free.
It just shows how different problems can develop.
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

That sounds like a serious issue with the suspension to my untrained ears. I think returning it is the sensible , if disappointing thing to do.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

I think the fact someone had fitted the wrong side suspension arm to the car would set my alarm bells ringing, why was it changed? Accident damaged? What else is possibly incorrect. I don’t think I would ever be really happy . Personally I would press for total refund.
2017 Macan S, Carrara White Metallic, Agate Grey Leather, 21” 911 Turbo Design wheels.
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

That was my thinking too, it would take something serious to warrant suspension arm change and I don’t think any reputable garage would make that mistake given on line part number searches