Exhaust valve rattle

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
JP20

Post by JP20 »

Hi,

First post on the forum. I have a 2019 Macan S and just wanted to know if anyone else has had issues with the exhaust valve (actuator I believe is the correct name), mine rattles excessively when going through the gears and sounds awful.

I don’t have the sports exhaust, although when I do switch into sports mode it does rattle less as the valve is obviously open. It’s when I go into normal mode I get a horrible rattle after every gear change.

If anyone has had this issue, is it an easy fix? I’m waiting on an independent to get back to me so will hopefully reassure it’s not a major issue. I have visions of going to a main dealer and telling me to replace the whole lot.

Any help would be great!

JP20

Post by JP20 »

Just to add this is my first Porsche, although the rattle is annoying I know it will get sorted. Other than that shes been brilliant!

Picture attached

IMG_7396.jpeg

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Lovely looking Macan :D :D
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Get it checked and replaced - that doesn’t sound right

I’ve a MY gen2 with sports exhaust - at one point soon after purchase (Dec 22) it started clicking loudly on startup. The OPC replaced the valve actuator under warranty

One thing I noticed about mine and another Gen 2 I test drove is that that the turbo sound sounds quite harsh, like a small rattle / hashing rather than the high pitched whine I’m used to from previous cars. Do you hear the same?

I assume that sound is turbo rather than exhaust as it comes on with turbo boost (from MFD I see boost pressure increasing)
JP20

Post by JP20 »

Ok thanks, as along as I know the actuator can be replaced without being a major job then that’s fine.

I’ve had a local garage diagnose the issue and it’s definitely the valve rattling, with me there they were kind enough to recreate for me on their rolling road and I witnessed for myself.

I’ve not noticed a noise from the turbo other than the lovely sound the car makes when I step on the accelerator! Neighbours must hate me 😂

Like I said, it’s been absolutely fine with no other niggles from purchase but I’m glad it doesn’t sound like a major problem. Seems a common problem now I’ve read up more, more so on other cars (not so much with the Macan).
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Yes, simple job for them to replace and fix