Service interval by mileage or date?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

On-Track wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:27 am
SAC1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:28 am
mueslibrown wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:20 pm My first service is incoming - anyone have a schedule of what is changed/done? Would I be able to supply some of the consumables such as oil, oil filter etc?
This is the 1st service at 2 years old that I had for my GTS in May 2022.

20230910_112024.jpg

I declined the Air Con service and their attempt to charge for the panoramic roof's drain clearance check.
Steve, a couple of points on your invoice intrigue me. Your car is only five months older than mine, the underbonnet sticker in my car says the correct oil is 0w/30 (which is what my OPC used) yet your invoice shows 5W/30. Also the quantity of oil used is either 12L or 1L. Mine only took 8L.
Agree, my car's sticker shows 0W-30. The 12 x 1L refers to a one litre take away pack. They put 8L into the engine.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

pmg wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:08 pm
Scooby_Doo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:51 pm My MFD says next service Dec 2024 but oil service in 11000 miles at July 24. I've always changed oil once a year or at most 10000 miles -Question - If I get an indi to change my oil next January will the MFD recognise that the oil is new and push the next oil change forward ti Dec 24 ? Also if I do this will it invalidate the warranty ?
Only if the Indi resets the info on the car to record the oil change because of the date and mileage elements to trigger alongside oil condition. My OPC forgot to do that last time and i got apologies the next time I was in for something else which was MOT and winter/summer tyre set swop.
OPC's have a habit of forgetting to do the resets! What else do they forget? Never had an indie forget.
BeeMac

Post by BeeMac »

My 2020 GTS (gen 2, with 2.9 V6) had its first service at 2 years old in October 2022 having covered just under 10k miles. This seemed to be perfectly in line with the ‘2 years / 20k miles’ service regime of my previous gen 1 (3.0 V6) GTS.
However, earlier this month, the car went in to the OPC for a software update (apparently to rectify erroneous warning lights which some owners had experienced). Imagine my surprise when I collected the car later that same day, inserted the key and saw a message in the display telling me an oil service was now due in 29 days - which, coincidentally, would be exactly 12 months to the day since the first service was done. At this point the car had done just under 15k miles. The other obvious coincidence is that this message only appeared immediately after the software update.
OPC are now trying to tell me my gen 2 car has always had a ‘condition based’ service regime, rather than the 2 years / 20k miles of gen 1 cars. This is not what I was told when I ordered the gen 2 car. However, if true, I’m wondering why the first service warning message didn’t appear until the car was approaching the 2 year mark.
My style / type of driving hasn’t changed (i.e. very few short journeys). I don’t believe in coincidences and therefore I suspect the software update has altered the previous service settings from 2 year fixed to variable. Anyone else had a similar experience?
pmg

Post by pmg »

BeeMac wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:50 am My 2020 GTS (gen 2, with 2.9 V6) had its first service at 2 years old in October 2022 having covered just under 10k miles. This seemed to be perfectly in line with the ‘2 years / 20k miles’ service regime of my previous gen 1 (3.0 V6) GTS.
However, earlier this month, the car went in to the OPC for a software update (apparently to rectify erroneous warning lights which some owners had experienced). Imagine my surprise when I collected the car later that same day, inserted the key and saw a message in the display telling me an oil service was now due in 29 days - which, coincidentally, would be exactly 12 months to the day since the first service was done. At this point the car had done just under 15k miles. The other obvious coincidence is that this message only appeared immediately after the software update.
OPC are now trying to tell me my gen 2 car has always had a ‘condition based’ service regime, rather than the 2 years / 20k miles of gen 1 cars. This is not what I was told when I ordered the gen 2 car. However, if true, I’m wondering why the first service warning message didn’t appear until the car was approaching the 2 year mark.
My style / type of driving hasn’t changed (i.e. very few short journeys). I don’t believe in coincidences and therefore I suspect the software update has altered the previous service settings from 2 year fixed to variable. Anyone else had a similar experience?

Gen2 cars have always been condition based. I have one of the first Gen2 V6's. My Macan has always shown 2 years as a date based service interval but mileage prediction has varied from 20 k from last service. It tends to start at 10 k immediately after service and then extend up to 20 k from last service over the weeks after service as rarely do short trips
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

BeeMac wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:50 am My 2020 GTS (gen 2, with 2.9 V6) had its first service at 2 years old in October 2022 having covered just under 10k miles. This seemed to be perfectly in line with the ‘2 years / 20k miles’ service regime of my previous gen 1 (3.0 V6) GTS.
The link below will show you are not the only 2020 GTS owner to experience this problem.

viewtopic.php?t=13185

I'm convinced that there is something in the software upgrade that interferes with the oil change interval. I raised it with my OPC when it happened to me and they promised to push the information "up the chain". In my car, some months after the event, It now shows next service in July 2024 (when the car will be four years old) and next oil change in July 2025 i.e. two years after the latest oil change. I will still have the oil changed as part of the four year service in order to bring oil change and service intervals back into line.

My 2015 SD had condition based service interval and so does my 2020 GTS. Unfortunately most SEs know sh*t about the cars they are adivising you about but try to appear knowledgeable instead of being honest.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

My 992 is showing different results to the Macan in terms of service due dates. I do around 10k per year mileage almost exclusively in short journeys of less than 4 miles and yet the next service interval is still showing in 17.5k miles (2.5k miles after last service).

This would suggest that the type/length of journey is irrelevant and yet it did make a difference with the Macan, shortening the service interval noticeably. 🤷‍♂️
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Jon A wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:54 pm My 992 is showing different results to the Macan in terms of service due dates. I do around 10k per year mileage almost exclusively in short journeys of less than 4 miles and yet the next service interval is still showing in 17.5k miles (2.5k miles after last service).

This would suggest that the type/length of journey is irrelevant and yet it did make a difference with the Macan, shortening the service interval noticeably. 🤷‍♂️
Don’t believe you’re on condition based servicing on the 992 Jon, as you were on the Macan. And given your use case I would certainly be doing an annual oil change.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:27 pm
Jon A wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:54 pm My 992 is showing different results to the Macan in terms of service due dates. I do around 10k per year mileage almost exclusively in short journeys of less than 4 miles and yet the next service interval is still showing in 17.5k miles (2.5k miles after last service).

Don’t believe you’re on condition based servicing on the 992 Jon, as you were on the Macan. And given your use case I would certainly be doing an annual oil change.
Yes thanks for the tip Nick, it says next oil service is same time as next inspection service in July 2025!
I will get an oil service done by my Indy next year and tell them not to touch the service indicator as this will be an addition to what is “required” 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
BeeMac

Post by BeeMac »

On-Track wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:16 am
The link below will show you are not the only 2020 GTS owner to experience this problem.

viewtopic.php?t=13185

I'm convinced that there is something in the software upgrade that interferes with the oil change interval. I raised it with my OPC when it happened to me and they promised to push the information "up the chain". In my car, some months after the event, It now shows next service in July 2024 (when the car will be four years old) and next oil change in July 2025 i.e. two years after the latest oil change. I will still have the oil changed as part of the four year service in order to bring oil change and service intervals back into line.

My 2015 SD had condition based service interval and so does my 2020 GTS. Unfortunately most SEs know sh*t about the cars they are adivising you about but try to appear knowledgeable instead of being honest.
Thanks for this link Peter.

It makes very interesting reading and tends to confirm that: (i) several other owners of 2020 / 2021 models have had the same experience following a software update, and (ii) the issue has already been brought to Porsche’s attention, so they should be well aware that such an issue exists.

My local OPC have already referred the matter to Porsche UK but apparently they claim to have no knowledge of such an issue (!) and say they have passed it on to the factory in Germany. That was 2 weeks ago and I still have no further news. I’ll post an update on the forum when (if?) I have it.

Regards,

BeeMac