Parking sensor issue

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Good afternoon all
Has anyone experienced issues with the front parking sensors?
When I’ve reversed off my drive using the sensors the front ones seem to remain active after driving off ( above 9 MPH) and activate the red warning zone and beep whenever I slow down eg at junctions which was a bit alarming and is now plain irritating
Is there a way to reset the system or does it require OPC attention?

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Assuming that they are clean of course, one issue that can cause this is a slightly misfitted or proud number plate. Otherwise you are probably going to need a visit to an OPC.

You can temporarily silence the beeping using the button in the overhead console. This resets with an ignition off/on cycle but before that you need to remember the beepers are turned off!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Pretty common problem. Mine go off all the time. Today when driving on a lane with cones. Each cone set the warning off
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
boer13

Post by boer13 »

Before spending £ first make sure they're clean..
'17 sd | agate grey & black | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
'16 sd | sapphire blue & agate+pebble grey | 20" | bi-xenon & pdls | pasm | adaptive cc | ldw |
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

boer13 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 pm Before spending £ first make sure they're clean..
Also test which one is firing. Mine start at 3ft then go continuous at 1ft. If they all fire at the same distance it will be a software issue rather than hardware.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Thanks for the help guys , I’ve cleaned all the sensors and found the off button and test drive tomorrow.
From the Porsche App it seems the sensors stay active once switched on (by selecting reverse with handbrake off ) which fits as I don’t have the issue when I drive off without reversing
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Good news
My parking sensors are working properly again, no more red warnings when driving along.
I have no idea why but I’m hoping it’s not one of those intermittent problems which never occur during technician test drives
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Tonyedmunds wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:48 am Good news
My parking sensors are working properly again, no more red warnings when driving along.
I have no idea why but I’m hoping it’s not one of those intermittent problems which never occur during technician test drives
Perhaps you had a resident spider that kept on walking over the sensor 😁
Macan S MY 2023
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Sensors still working fine, so I’ve absolutely no idea what was going on. Never had the issue on any other car and sensors are not exactly new tech, just another Porsche idiosyncrasy I guess
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Tonyedmunds wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:42 am Sensors still working fine, so I’ve absolutely no idea what was going on. Never had the issue on any other car and sensors are not exactly new tech, just another Porsche idiosyncrasy I guess
Not just Porsche either. I used to drive a Merc that would alarm when there wasn't anything in front that was apparent. Sometimes when there was a central island in the road it actually slammed the brakes on too!!

After 3 visits the dealership finally resolved it as they found - upon removing the front bumper - a tiny sliver of silver paper (like a piece of chewing gum wrapper). It somehow was fouling the sensor but I have no idea how. I was just relieved that nobody rear-ended me when I appeared to randomly emergency stop!

Sometimes tech is great (when it works). When it doesn't it can be a liability