Diesel engines. The future?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I see Mercedes Benz have brought out a new diesel car and this has been tested by the Green NCAP. The result of their test: This is the "cleanest combustion-engined car ever tested". Beats all petrol engined cars and is a match for many hybrids. And there is me wondering about how long to keep my Euro 6 Macan SD. Ok, my car is not so environmentally friendly compared to this new Merc but it does make me wonder if Porsche could bring back a diesel engined Macan.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

One huge problem, the manufacturer.

Every C and E class and sports car I have been in has been finished with cheap and nasty looking materials inside the car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Porsche stopped supplying the Macan with the diesel engine because of environmental issues, I think. Maybe there are more reasons I don't know about. But if MB can produce a car that is top of the league for emissions, beating all petrol engined cars and on a par with most hybrid cars then if nothing else it should give them food for thought.
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Chilgrove wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:53 am Porsche stopped supplying the Macan with the diesel engine because of environmental issues, I think. Maybe there are more reasons I don't know about. But if MB can produce a car that is top of the league for emissions, beating all petrol engines cars and on a par with most hybrid cars then if nothing else it should give them food for thought.
Well, this is the thing isn't it. ICE cars are cleaner that ever before. And if even half the money that has been spent on EV development went into new Petrol & Diesel engines to make them even cleaner, surely that is better all round than creating a whole heap of CO2 to build millions of new EV's.

Not many people look at (Because it's not on the telly) just what environmental damage is done to produce an EV. But when do facts get in the way of a political agenda?
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Given that, like it or not, the future's in renewable electricity, there's no way ICE will be developed further.

And even that has massive unknown's. Here's a theory . Could climate change be a result of all the extraction of energy from the atmosphere in wind and solar that was previously radiated back out to space ?
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:09 pm Given that, like it or not, the future's in renewable electricity, there's no way ICE will be developed further.

And even that has massive unknown's. Here's a theory . Could climate change be a result of all the extraction of energy from the atmosphere in wind and solar that was previously radiated back out to space ?
Greece fires blamed on Climate change. over 70 people later arrested for Arson.

Cloud seeding. Weather manipulation. All actual facts that hardly anyone knows about. Look at the Hawaii fires. Residents (not on MSM) stating they saw what looked like lighting hit the ground which caused the fires.

If you know what this is ....

IMG_0834.JPG

And now they have drones !

Also those white streaks in the sky?

337885582_1633945657120384_432597767669343998_n.jpg

eefed.JPG

Facts aren't conspiracy theories.
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

wab172uk wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:02 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:09 pm Given that, like it or not, the future's in renewable electricity, there's no way ICE will be developed further.

Greece fires blamed on Climate change. over 70 people later arrested for Arson.
And that's the issue.
Most of these bad wild fires, are started deliberately, or by nature such as lightning, but are affecting humans more than, because of the human encroachment in areas more likely to see wild fires anyway......as more population, more desirability to live in locations that are naturally prone to such events......but, lets blame climate change :roll:
Also, in many areas prone to wild fires, especially in USA, not only is this encroachment a factor, but enviromentalists are stopped the forestry services from doing what they used to do, in terms of management to mitigate any fires.....its just mental. There's a really interesting site in the USA which I can't find the link for again, which has super imposed NASA sat images over past 40 odd years of areas in the USA, in time line, and its shocking at the build up of housing and industrial over past 4 or 5 decades in the areas of past northern California wildfire areas. Apart from often being the result of human stupidity or arson, you can't move into natures backyard and then expect nature to not occasionally bite you on the arse!
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:27 am One huge problem, the manufacturer.

Every C and E class and sports car I have been in has been finished with cheap and nasty looking materials inside the car.
I own and drive an E class as my daily and this is not my experience. I believe my Merc could go on forever, whether the Macan can, we'll see;)
Macan S MY 2023
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Chilgrove wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:53 am Porsche stopped supplying the Macan with the diesel engine because of environmental issues, I think. Maybe there are more reasons I don't know about. But if MB can produce a car that is top of the league for emissions, beating all petrol engined cars and on a par with most hybrid cars then if nothing else it should give them food for thought.
One suggestion was the Porsche diesel engines ended up in Audis - the proper S models (not the trim line) switched from petrol to diesel at the same time.

I doubt the VW Group did this for environmental reasons; more likely the diesel engines better fitted with the image of Audi rather than Porsche
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I think that it is a shame that diesel engines have become demonised.

There are some brilliant diesel engines. The Macan diesel engine is a great engine. The Porsche 4 litre V8 diesel was a brilliant engine.

With some of the smaller engines (2 litre even) you can get 800 miles from a tank of diesel which is great for high mileage people.