Routine Battery charging

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
GeoffH

Post by GeoffH »

I also have a 2015 S - still on the original battery and no problems whatsoever.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PF8MVM34

MikeM

Post by MikeM »

It really depends on your pattern of use, if it doesn’t move for a week or so and then you only drive a few short miles your battery won’t get enough input charge. It may function adequately during the summer but during winter months battery capacity is reduced, the lower the temperature the greater the reduction. Whilst the power required to turn over the engine is increased. Those that say they never have need to connect a charger are obviously doing enough miles at suitable pace in order to fully recharge the battery.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

wab172uk wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:31 pm Not on my Macan, but I use a CTEK charger on my GR-Yaris.
Nice combo of cars!
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

MikeM wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:28 pm It really depends on your pattern of use, if it doesn’t move for a week or so and then you only drive a few short miles your battery won’t get enough input charge. It may function adequately during the summer but during winter months battery capacity is reduced, the lower the temperature the greater the reduction. Whilst the power required to turn over the engine is increased. Those that say they never have need to connect a charger are obviously doing enough miles at suitable pace in order to fully recharge the battery.
My Macan is not my daily driver and has no battery issues. If you drive a Macan for this level of mileage, is it worth owning at all?
Macan S MY 2023
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Skyway wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:22 pm
MikeM wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:28 pm It really depends on your pattern of use, if it doesn’t move for a week or so and then you only drive a few short miles your battery won’t get enough input charge. It may function adequately during the summer but during winter months battery capacity is reduced, the lower the temperature the greater the reduction. Whilst the power required to turn over the engine is increased. Those that say they never have need to connect a charger are obviously doing enough miles at suitable pace in order to fully recharge the battery.
My Macan is not my daily driver and has no battery issues. If you drive a Macan for this level of mileage, is it worth owning at all?
Of course it is. I work from home and my Macan may not move for a week or so. My other car might not move for 4+ weeks. But they are there when I need them. Just because you don't drive them every day, doesn't mean you shouldn't own a nice car(s).
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Skyway wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:22 pm ....My Macan is not my daily driver and has no battery issues. If you drive a Macan for this level of mileage, is it worth owning at all?...
Of course it is. "worth owning" is surely how much you are prepared to pay vs how much you get out of something

I don't ride bikes anywhere near as much as I used to but I still have a Ducati in the garage that covers a couple of thousand enjoyable miles each year. Worth every penny to me
Tonyedmunds

Post by Tonyedmunds »

Interesting thread, perhaps the Macan uses less juice when parked up, my Evoque battery only lasted five years but that did include COVID and in fairness it never failed to start.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

been left for over 6 weeks, still starts first time , no charger