Frequency analysis for NVH / rattle identification

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Have got an annoying rattle in my car that's proving to be hard to diagnose as it only appears under certain conditions. After some searching I came across this product which may help:

Am going to call the company tomorrow to see if they can point me in the direction of a garage near London that uses their unit, but I know that there are other similar products available. Does anyone here know of a business that does NVH / rattle identification using one near London?

Thanks everyone. Will post here re how it goes if I find one and try the process out
Gen-3 Macan GTS (Volcano)
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

In my GTS I had a squeek/trim rubbing sound that only appeared in cold weather when the heater was on and the car was up to temp. Problem was, once the sound appeared in the drive it was there the entire drive and super noticable.

Managed to get someone at the OPC to witness it by warming the car up with a 40 minute drive, then quickly getting the tech in the car then going for a short drive.

But it took some effort - trying to explain to people at the OPC the specific set of circumstances needed was very difficult. But they did fix it by taking the trim apart and stuffing with foam absorbers. Seems to have worked,
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Thanks. Never easy with these things. The mild rattle that I was posting about is on my Spyder, but would you mind giving me more details about what they (OPC West London?) did to you Macan GTS? I have a small squeak from my West London supplied Macan GTS so I might ask them to perform the same fix next time mine's in in case it helps. It can't do any harm. Many thanks
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Yeh sure - I believe they stripped out the centre console from the arm rest forward, including the gear lever etc.

They then added padding / "anti vibration" (probably just bog standard foam) to all the points where trim meets trim. They commented there were some internal points it could be rubbing deep inside the centre console.

To me, it was coming from where the top of the button area meets the bottom of the touch screen if that makes sense. They seemed to think it was deeper in the trim.

We've not had proper cold weather yet, but I've driven with the heating on a fair few times now and it's not come back. And yup, West London OPC!
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Got it. Thanks. Alas, am 99% sure mine's different as is more in the tailgate area but is very very minor
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

These things are so simple in their cause but so hard to identify and fix! Sometimes finding the culprit involves driving around with the OPC’s smallest tech lying in the boot/rear seat/footwell/under the bonnet (joking) to poke and prod trim etc until they find it. Then it’s a case of applying foam padding or felt tape into gaps and behind panels to stop the noise. Low tech stuff but very satisfying when it works!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Exactly, Nick. All very tedious. Fortunately the dealer's being very helpful and the rattle's mild, however once you hear it you can't unhear it...
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Update on this in case useful for others. Have just dropped the car at the dealer. Fortunately the rattle was immediately apparent when we drove around the block, and they're confident that they can sort it.

However I did speak with the Picoscope company earlier this week. They directed me to someone at Porsche GB who was very helpful. Told me that if the OPC were having issues diagnosing the rattle they could contact him and he would potentially send a team to the dealer with a Picoscope to help. We aren't at that stage but I was very impressed that they'd go to such lengths
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Good stuff, fingers crossed. That's great service from Picoscope... !
FirstSeaLord

Post by FirstSeaLord »

Plyphon wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:16 pm Good stuff, fingers crossed. That's great service from Picoscope... !
Yep, they were great. Porsche GB were especially helpful by talking about sending a team. Have also been very impressed by Porsche Bristol too. The OPCs get a hard time a lot of the time, often deserved - but Bristol couldn't have been more helpful
992 GT3 Touring (Agate)
718 Spyder (Arctic)