battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Guy

Post by Guy »

Update: I ordered a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger on Amazon.de (cheaper than '.co.uk') and it arrived the post today. Pleased to see that the latest model has an 'AGM' setting to replace the old 'snowflake' symbol. I am currently testing it with my motorcycle battery (also a VARTA AGM) and will move it to the car tomorrow.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good info. I think I have the old model CTEK but will check. Don't plan on having to charge the Macan though.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

I read that these "stop-start" batteries should be charged on the AGM/gel setting, not the "full-charge" setting. It said that if your charger is an older model which doesn't have AGM / gel setting, then use the "snowflake" setting. Worked for me.
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Guy

Post by Guy »

Tall Phil wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 pm I read that these "stop-start" batteries should be charged on the AGM/gel setting, not the "full-charge" setting. It said that if your charger is an older model which doesn't have AGM / gel setting, then use the "snowflake" setting. Worked for me.
Yes, having read a 22 page thread on Battery Charging on the US Forum, they concluded that 'snowflake' gives the same 14.7V that is required for the 'absorption' phase of AGM charging.

I wonder if it is safe to assume that all UK Macan batteries are of the AGM type. After researching the subject I wasn't convinced, hence my physical check!