battery

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
oldcro

Post by oldcro »

My 2015 Macan S Diesel handbook says my battery is under the boot floor, but I cannot find it (I do have an emergency spare wheel there) which is easily spotted) and some tools.

Could it be hiding in the box thingy near to tailgate? I failed to open this as I was afraid of forcing it in case I damaged something and it is not strictly under the floor. I have no need to find it other than curiosity by the way.

Thanks in advance for any useful replies.

John (oldcro)

steve w

Post by steve w »

It is located under the load space floor in the boot.
Steve W
oldcro

Post by oldcro »

Do you mean under the floor the spare wheel sits on? Because you've stated what it says in the handbook and I could not see any battery there, thus my reason for asking.

oldcro

oldcro2015-12-26 16:56:44
steve w

Post by steve w »

Yes just going on what the good to know APP states.
Steve W
Spud

Post by Spud »

My battery is under boot floor
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I know the battery is under the boot floor because my OPC showed me where it was during handover but I cannot remember how to access the lower compartment. Mind you, given the charging/jump start terminals on the rear wall of the engine compartment I cannot see me ever needing to find the battery.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
oldcro

Post by oldcro »

Thanks On-Track, I now know the battery is below the spare tyre under the lower floor but have not yet checked how to access it. The handbook could have had a better explanation of its location and how to actually get to it. A far more useful description from you than the previous posts.

Oddly enough I found the same description as you mentioned in an Edmunds road test

As they say some have to say something while others have something to say.

oldcro

oldcro2015-12-29 19:47:30
Guy

Post by Guy »

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good info - thanks - I was going to take a photo - this saves me the bother Smile
Guy

Post by Guy »

I had to jump start my Macan on Saturday as I hadn't used it for a while - variety of reasons. The car's systems had shut down to the stage where I had to use the emergency key to unlock the car! When I tried to start it numerous warning came on - PASM, TPMS etc - but these all cleared as soon as I had it started. I jumped it from my VW Golf using the handy terminals under the bonnet.

Anyway, today I nipped down to the garage to check the indicated voltage and it was showing about 12V. Worried that I may have done some permanent damage to the battery I decided to try to charge it. I spent a while searching for the battery type to check what charger I should use, and decided to have a look at the actual battery for the avoidance of doubt.

For those unaware (or who haven't read the thread above), the battery is under the boot floor. You need to remove the boot floor (it lifts out) and then the spare wheel (if you have one). There is then a flap of carpet underneath that rolls open from just behind the sub towards the front of the car:

IMG_1625.JPG

The battery is then under the plastic flap - you may need to push inwards on four plastic clips - it then folds forwards.

IMG_1626.JPG

And here's a close up of the battery - a VARTA AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat).

IMG_1624.JPG

I measured it at just over 12V at the terminals, hence decided to charge it via the under bonnet connectors using my current automatic battery charger; the one that I have is not ideal for AGMs but I feel that some charge is better than none given the low voltage. Will leave it for a few hours and then check the voltage again.

(As an aside, I have read on the US Forum that some people turn their spare wheels the other way up to increase underfloor storage. Although I didn't bother, these seems a sensible change for those short of space!)