Noisy brakes

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
malcrock

Post by malcrock »

Hi there macan owneers etc etc, have had my lovely Agate grey Diesel for nearly 9months now and use it about once or twice a week( silly me OCD or something). Done 2700km so far. Recently noticed that brakes are making quite a screeching noise when pressed, sometimes even embarrassing!!!
Has anyone experienced this and what you think I should do about it? Should I take it in for checking or is it just a case of driving more and using them more.......thanksClap

SPL

Post by SPL »

Same here at times but the power washer sorts it. Always seems to be the front.

Maybe because its a bit dusty in Malta? We are getting our cars washed by natural causes... daily Cry
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Not had any such issues with either of my Macans. I wonder if you were too gentle on the brakes whilst running in.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
malcrock

Post by malcrock »

No doubt it is dustier here in Malta and we haven't had much rain.....almost 2 weeks now and no real showers predicted fro another week or so....... You could be right re not using brakes too hard in the running period Mark. I think I will refrain fro taking it in and see whether it gets better on its own over the next couple of months.... It does not look like there is any issue regarding their efficiency as seem to work well
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

try oiling them!
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I could be wrong, but I thought that "running in" meant gentle with the brakes - that's always what I have done - and have had no issues.

When you are only using the car twice a week you will get a build up of rust on the brake disc's - perhaps in your case it could be dust / sand - which can make a noise.
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

My 3 week-old Macan has suddenly developed a noticeable brake squealing just before coming to a stop.
I would not say I was harsh on the brakes.
I think it a bit dismissive to point the finger at the OP's location. I live in the UK, and you can't say that it's been dry & dusty here recently!
If my squealing persists, I'm taking it back to the dealer.
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

I would do a few hard emergency stops to clean up the discs and pads. Pressure washing probably removes any copper grease around the pads.

S
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

My 3 week-old Macan has suddenly developed a noticeable brake squealing just before coming to a stop.
I would not say I was harsh on the brakes.
I think it a bit dismissive to point the finger at the OP's location. I live in the UK, and you can't say that it's been dry & dusty here recently!
If my squealing persists, I'm taking it back to the dealer.
had the same issues of squeeling from the front pads , my OPC removed "dust builup" due to not pressing hard enough once run in it is advisable to really test your brakes now and again this removes the annoying squeel ..It worked on macan 1 and 2 no squeel since.. jonmacan2015-12-30 13:23:53
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

Always good to give the car a 'Simmo-Shakedown' every month or so...
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2