Door sill guards

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I'm curious about these:
  1. Outer door-sill guards in Carbon incl. loadspace protection £405
  2. Door-sill guards in Carbon incl. loadspace protection £689
Aside from the price and that â„–2 one illuminates the lettering, is there any other difference?

It's the "Outer" bit that I wonder about.

The detailed descriptions:
  1. Door sill guards in front in carbon with model logo: Macan S/Macan S Diesel: „Macan S“, Macan Turbo: „Macan turbo“, including loading edge protection in carbon.
  2. Door sill guards in front in carbon with white illuminated model logo: Macan S/Macan S Diesel: „Macan S“, Macan Turbo: „Macan turbo“, including loading edge protection in carbon
Here, the only difference is "white illuminated" (and the picture shows it illuminated) so that's not a puzzle.

Standard on a Turbo is: "Door sill guards in aluminium with model designation at front: Â’Macan turbo."

That sort of describes what my current car looks like. There is no additional option for the Turbo except the illuminated one, so I'm guessing these are equivalent, but in brushed alu instead of carbon.

Anyone considered these things and know the actual difference? Or is this just a case of very poor descriptions from Porsche again? Any relevance to the brushed alu strip on the boot lip?

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

wizard

Post by wizard »

I think the 'outer' bit is a red herring....

They do carbon, brushed alum. etc with and without illumination, but there is no 'outer' difference or at least the parts list doesn't indicate any.....

For info the sets only include the 'Macan' inserts (with wiring etc as appropriate) the original sill is still required.

I'm curious about these:
Aside from the price and that â„–2 one illuminates the lettering, is there any other difference?

1. Door sill guards in front in carbon with model logo: Macan S/Macan S Diesel: „Macan S“, Macan Turbo: „Macan turbo“, including loading edge protection in carbon.
  2. Door sill guards in front in carbon with white illuminated model logo: Macan S/Macan S Diesel: „Macan S“, Macan Turbo: „Macan turbo“, including loading edge protection in carbon
Here, the only difference is "white illuminated" (and the picture shows it illuminated) so that's not a puzzle.

Standard on a Turbo is: "Door sill guards in aluminium with model designation at front: Â’Macan turbo."

That sort of describes what my current car looks like. There is no additional option for the Turbo except the illuminated one, so I'm guessing these are equivalent, but in brushed alu instead of carbon.

Anyone considered these things and know the actual difference? Or is this just a case of very poor descriptions from Porsche again? Any relevance to the brushed alu strip on the boot lip?

wizard2016-02-28 09:33:19
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5
Parson911

Post by Parson911 »

I'm curious about these:

I have ordered the carbon door sill guards, non illuminated, and expect them to replace the brushed aluminium ones. I think that "outer" is a red herring. I have ordered the carbon interior and steering wheel so I think they will be a nice touch.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Thanks.

I wasn't going to get the carbon sills on my new car (I specced carbon interior pack), but I'm developing an increasing dislike for brushed alu, so thought I'd get them to clean things up a bit.

I'll think I'll add the basic non-illuminating one.
Parson911

Post by Parson911 »

Thanks.

I wasn't going to get the carbon sills on my new car (I specced carbon interior pack), but I'm developing an increasing dislike for brushed alu, so thought I'd get them to clean things up a bit.

I'll think I'll add the basic non-illuminating one.

Just the feeling I had... That they would be the only brushed aluminium and they would look odd.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Thanks all. Order updated with carbon sills.

Famous last words, but I think that's as far as I want to go on tweaking. Anything else will be an overhaul Wink
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Looking at a similar item for the Macan GTS.

There are two options, one is with loading edge protection (LEP) and there is quite a big difference in price, about £500, if you don't have the option with LEP.

But what is LEP? Is this the section at the back of the boot which on my last Macan was an aluminium effect and can get scuffed? If so, what do they protect it with?
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver