Towbar height

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

Could I ask a favour and ask one of you who has the factory fit towbar to meansure the distance between the ground and the very top of the ball? I will putting my beloved mountain bike on a bike rack using the tow hitch and need to make sure it's not too low otherwise the bike wheels will touch the ground going over speed bumps and the like... Thanks

Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Approximately 445mm, steel suspension.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sounds like you need to consider Air Suspensionin your spec
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
LLL

Post by LLL »

Sounds like you need to consider Air Suspensionin your spec

Nah, AS would be worse in this situation since the car will be 15mm lower in "Normal" mode than the steel suspension. Of road mode is higher, but the car will automatically lower to "Normal" if going above 30mph (I think it is, might be some mph+/-)
ouzel

Post by ouzel »

I've just taken owndersip of a 2015 Macan S diesel, and was interested in fitting a towbar for my bikes too. Should I go for the official dealer install and parts (costly ?), or an aftermarket one ? Witter towbars quote £650 for supply and fitting.
Any advice appreciated.
davewf

Post by davewf »

Was car through an OPC or another dealer if through OPC the warranty may be affected by fitting a witter but Porsche tow bar is around £1500 fitted by OPC , Witter are just as good but make sure you get a proper wiring kit so it just plugs into the Loom you will then need the car coded to recognise it has a tow bar. Perhaps the fitter can do that otherwise its a trip to OPC.

The coding stops you opening the rear hatch remotely so you are there while it tries to bang into the carrier if you have forgotten to fold it down, it also enables the alarm so if someone unplugs the bike carrier it will alarm, plus a few other things such as disabling lane change assist and Stop start. Necessary for a caravan but nor really for a bike carrier.

Picture shows an Altera carrier its well off the ground

IMG_2053.jpeg

M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

Hi I am a Newby the forum, need to introduce and post pics of car but I too need a tow bar and have decided on the following after looking on PF Jones website I am going for a Westfalia as minimal bumper cut and endorsed by VW Audi group advertised on YouTube also dedicated electrics and vehicle coding. Local towbar fitting centre who are approved Westfalia dealers have quoted £700 fitted. Job for the new year.
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

I fitted a used (as new) Westfalia tow bar, with removable swan neck to my 2016 Turbo as a DIY job.
It was from Ebay, and was originally on an Audi Q5 - same Westfalia model.
Very straightforward, if you are used to messin’ with cars.
I bought a new electrics kit from PF Jones. I discovered it all worked ok without requiring any coding,

I posted the story on this forum
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Westfalia towbar fitting

E61DF7E4-6A0C-44AD-BF62-08CEFD75EF8F.jpeg

3CC88487-B074-4CBF-A791-1A43BC11BC88.jpeg

A232AEBC-7D8F-4E8D-A5CC-385CD56A21D2.jpeg

2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,