Nav guidance volume adjustment

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
BrianR

Post by BrianR »

Semerka - I assume that you know it came be muted or adjusted but that it takes about 5 presses of buttons to do so?! Far from idea and a step backwards imho.

Mine mutes when I mute the audio (click the left hand wheel on the steering wheel or facia). That was a surprise to me: my Lexus was completely independent.

So far, shutting it up in a diversion is all I have wanted to do. Muting the audio is faster than stopping the guidance, and does not need looking at any screen.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHKETU27 collected April 2016

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Thank Merlin and BrianR!

Yes, I can mute it, but I preferred the old PCM way, where you could adjust the volume whilst the lady navigator was talking, or when you double pressed the Map button to make her talk and then adjust the volume with the volume dial.

On this new PCM, I worked out only one way to adjust the volume and that is by going into the Options and then another step, and another step as Merlin says.

Oh well, hey ho, you loose some, you gain some. LOL
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
rikholland

Post by rikholland »

Old topic, but still annoying... On my old pcm 3.1 I used to press the “Map” button while under nav guidance and the actual/last instruction sounded up and at the same time you could adjust (or turn off) the volume. It was briljant and I used it a lot, especially at the last miles to a new for me destination.
In my GTS with PCM 4.0 this is not working. I indeed have to go way deep in the menu to adjust the guidance volume. Anyone found a workaround or solution for this issue?
PS Sorry for my bad English...
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Firstly Rik, no need to apologise for your English, it's better than many Brits who post on here!

I agree about the nav volume adjustment. The method you describe seems to work sometimes but not consistently. I've adjusted the volume in the PCM to get a compromise that is loud enough at higher speeds but not too loud when in town.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
rikholland

Post by rikholland »

Hi Nick. thx for your reply (and compliment on my English :) ). I will check if that will do for me on my next trip. Anyone else has a solution/workaround?
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi. I have a 911 Carrera T registered April 2018, so I don’t know if the PCM is similar. Regarding the volume adjustment of the sat nav voice, I have found that the volume controls do work, so long as you adjust the volume while ‘she’ is speaking, and providing the radio is on at the same time. If I’m listening to the radio and I want to adjust the sat nav volume up or down, it works just fine. When it doesn’t seem to work is when using sat nav, but radio is not in use. In those circumstances, the volume controls seem to have no effect on the sat nav voice.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:03 am Hi. I have a 911 Carrera T registered April 2018, so I don’t know if the PCM is similar. Regarding the volume adjustment of the sat nav voice, I have found that the volume controls do work, so long as you adjust the volume while ‘she’ is speaking, and providing the radio is on at the same time. If I’m listening to the radio and I want to adjust the sat nav volume up or down, it works just fine. When it doesn’t seem to work is when using sat nav, but radio is not in use. In those circumstances, the volume controls seem to have no effect on the sat nav voice.
+1 to this adjusting volume technique used on my May 2017 Macan SD.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:03 am Hi. I have a 911 Carrera T registered April 2018, so I don’t know if the PCM is similar. Regarding the volume adjustment of the sat nav voice, I have found that the volume controls do work, so long as you adjust the volume while ‘she’ is speaking, and providing the radio is on at the same time. If I’m listening to the radio and I want to adjust the sat nav volume up or down, it works just fine. When it doesn’t seem to work is when using sat nav, but radio is not in use. In those circumstances, the volume controls seem to have no effect on the sat nav voice.
+2 here. Initially at least, you need to have the radio or music on, to be able to adjust the Navigation volume with the volume button, while the Nav lady is talking (or force her to talk by pressing the Map button twice). You can see that the icon at the front of the orange sound bar at the top of the screen changes between volume for music / radio and volume for navigation.

It does not work very well though.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Paul

Post by Paul »

As Wingco and Semerka say, it works if you change the volume whilst the nav voice is active. I've always got some music on (radio or SD card) so can't comment on whether it works with no music source.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rikholland

Post by rikholland »

Hi all, thx for your input. I made a little trip this afternoon and tried your suggestion. Unfortunately this is not working in my car (2017 GTS). If I press "MAP" while playing music or radio and the voice comes up I can not change her volume. Maybe the Dutch version of PCM 4.0 has other software than the ones in the UK.
But I found a workaround;
1. independent of under nav guidance or playing media/radio.
2. Push NAV>Option and choose "Set navigation volume (I am not sure it is in this setting in English, but you know what I mean).
3. Set the volume to Max (11 in my case) or lower if you want.
4. In the same screen touch the loudspeaker icon under the volume setting to mute the volume. The setting of 11 (in my case) disappears, but don't worry ;).
5. Leave this screen.
6. Start navigation to your desired destination.
7. As expected, no navigation instructions are to be heard.
8. Push the "Map"button.
9. Result> The voice comes up with the actual instruction at my first set level of 11.
This will work for me ;). In difficult route-conditions I will just push the Map button for spoken instructions. The rest of the time I can enjoy my PSE ;) .
BTW Simon: I just got a crush on your T. Magnificent car!!