GTS spring rates

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

In responding to a thread that is running in the 'newbies' section, I have just waded through some of the information provided by Porsche on their Macan site to end up with the following summary of ride height differences between S and GTS vehicles, with and without air suspension:
S - standard/sports (steel) suspension - datum ride height

S - air suspension - normal mode - ride height 15mm lower than datum
S - air suspension - low mode - ride height 25mm lower than datum

GTS - standard/GTS sports (steel) suspension - ride height 15mm lower than datum
GTS - air suspension - normal mode - ride height 25mm lower than datum
GTS - air suspension - low mode - ride height 35mm lower than datum

What I'd like to know is whether the GTS steel springs are simply shorter than the springs fitted as standard to the S cars (ie: shorter but the same rate) or if they are also stiffer than the standard springs (ie: shorter and have a higher spring rate). i think i've picked up that, in both cases, the springs are linear (not progressive rate).

Can anyone advise or confirm?

James

Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

I posted the above thread nearly three years ago, but whereas I was simply curious at that time, I now have a genuine need to know the answer!

Can anyone help? In essence, I'm keen to understand if the GTS steel springs are simply shorter versions of the standard ('S') springs or whether they also have a stiffer rate.

James
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi James,

Col posted this a couple of years ago - from the US forum, which may help.......

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5970&p=127215&hili ... py#p127215

Key elements.....

0.4" lower than standard Air Suspension.
- 10% stiffer than standard Air Suspension.
- Stiffer and thicker rear stabilizer bar.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Thanks for that Paul - a great find that beats anything I managed to find online!

Interesting information as it confirms that the air-suspension which is fitted as standard to US-spec GTS cars is 10% stiffer than the air-suspension fitted to US-spec S models. It would seem logical to assume that the "10% stiffer" approach applies also to steel-sprung vehicles. Logical but not yet confirmed!

I'll carry on looking but if anyone else has confirmation, that would be helpful!

James
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am Hi James,

Col posted this a couple of years ago - from the US forum, which may help.......

Key elements.....

Good grief.

Where has the last two years gone?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

I was wondering where the near three years had gone since I asked originally!

James
pmg

Post by pmg »

Paul wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am Hi James,

Key elements.....

Anyone know how adjustment via PASM effects all this. Eg how does an S with air suspension in, say, Sport Plus mode compare with a GTS in sport or sport plus? Does the S facelift differ from the pre-facelift S in any respect here? Concerned about stiffness as much as ride height
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8