PCM issues

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It is purely shyate with postcodes. What I don't understand is as stated, a postcode is generally a road. Enter the postcode to PCM and it will give you a choice of towns - whichever one you choose it will direct you to the centre of that town.

Complete bobbins!

S

This just isn't true. It is a bit crap, yes, but not as crap as you state. Maybe your experience and the way you used it, it's true, but that's obviously not true for the thousands of other people that use it quite happily.

Seriously, if it's that bad, go back to your OPC and demand a refund as it's not fit for purpose.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

I think we're basically all spoiled with just how amazing google maps is these days. And they have updated it MUCH quicker than the automotive industry.

Being able to muller a name, find the address, get the directions instantly with live traffic information and predictions, all on a touch screen and free!

But then even my 8 year old tom tom is good at finding an address from a postcode (albeit the database is 8 years old!)

I'm looking forward to playing with PCM, but sound like the navigation will take some getting used to.
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Interested in your comments Goron as we find postcodes normally adequate around here but had problems getting the PCM to recognise them in the Yorkshire Dales and elsewhere in the North earlier this month. In the end we used addresses as you suggest. Generally find the setup very friendly except for the postcode quirk as herself very proficient at syncing phone with PCM.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

It is purely shyate with postcodes. What I don't understand is as stated, a postcode is generally a road. Enter the postcode to PCM and it will give you a choice of towns - whichever one you choose it will direct you to the centre of that town.

Complete bobbins!

S

This just isn't true. It is a bit crap, yes, but not as crap as you state. Maybe your experience and the way you used it, it's true, but that's obviously not true for the thousands of other people that use it quite happily. 

Seriously, if it's that bad, go back to your OPC and demand a refund as it's not fit for purpose.

We will just have to disagree, but if I enter a full post code correctly with spaces I expect the road (or a choice of roads) to pop up, not towns within a 10 mile radius of the postcode I entered. The real issue I have is that once you select the town (logic would say you choose the town where the postcode is in), it just sets the geographic centre of that town as the destination and starts the navigation.

Illogical captain...
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I think we can agree it's a bit silly, but this picture should at least help everyone reading this not to make the mistake of navigating to the centre of a postcode zone ever again.

1. Type in the postcode (if you most, addresses are always better) and press OK. In this case I'm using the postcode for Tewkesbury OPC.
  2. When the results come up, do not choose the ones that have "centre" written under them. These will send you somewhere bad. These are handily highlighted in the picture with a red X
  3. Choose one of the lines that have the full postcode near the front, here handily highlighted with a red checkmark
  4. When the map comes up, see that it's exactly where you wanted to go, then press Start.

I've sat in the car this evening and tried this with about a dozen postcodes of places I know and they've all been correct. Weird results, granted, but following this advice, all correct.

So in summary. Don't choose the generic towns with "centre" written under them. And where possible, just type in the address.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

Thanks goron that's very helpful.
I'll know what to do if I want to go somewhere bad...Wink

bilun7772016-09-20 19:41:08
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Very helpful goron, so as often seems to be the case, human error so we'll just blame the equipment.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Caster

Post by Caster »

Thanks goron - good to know.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Cheers Goron, thats interesting. I wonder why the germans built it to go to a city centre first, and not the exact address! Very odd!

Hopefully the PCM update people are whispering about will help improve this!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

Forget postcodes.

My experience is that in rural areas the satnav will usually take you to the middle of the area covered by the postcode. I have, before now, ended up in the middle of a large wood, moronically having failed to input the correct address of a hotel and even more stupidly simply followed the directions, rather than engaging my brain or listening to Mrs Old Timer who correctly was telling me that we were lost and the satnav was deranged. Ouch

At least I have not driven a car into a river ...

There is, in fact, a much better way to navigate. It covers the world with just three words.

So, my Porsche dealer in Portsmouth is located at:

bunk.wiped.spine

You will find more information at what3words.com. Try bunk.wiped.spine in the search box and see.

DS delivered 30th September 2016. Final spec code PHFK81G7.