Is it me

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I have the same hesitance to start reversing...and the slight skitter starting away with some steering lock on.

I am finding all maneuvering needs to be done with some caution as take-up point and speed are a little variable (more practice needed).

Yes, I have noticed the 'skitter' starting off on lock, a characteristic my Yeti also had Shocked.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

I've tried the strong pressure and it doesn't turn hold on. Must RTFM

I find it's more of a firm'ish stab on the pedal. Assuming you've come to a stop, say at lights, fairly smoothly and even easing up the pedal pressure as you come to rest, and you're holding the car with gentle pressure on the pedal, to engage 'hold' requires a quick, firm press on the pedal.

+1 with NN. I have also found that 2 quick firm stabs on the pedal works. One thing is to keep the brake applied all the time. Don't release and stab, if that makes sense.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
happy days

Post by happy days »

On the skitter - I have a 718S which jumps like anything when reversing. Apparently "They all do that, sir". I reckon it's to do with the stiff sidewalls and the ultra low profiles - a wee stone under the tyre and the rubber cannot flex enough to accommodate and so it skits over the stone. Just a thought? Might be similar with the Macan? What size of wheels do you have?
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Used to get that a lot on the 981 particularly on a cold morning but don't get it at all with the Macan
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

Had a loaner Boxster that skittered like mad reversing on full lock, put it down to the tyres as Happy Days says. My SD has been doing it a little too lately, always on full lock pulling away, both forward and reverse and always first thing in the morning. I put it down to cold summer tyres as it's only done it on cold mornings.

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
gintonic

Post by gintonic »

My 981S on 20" wheels skittered like anything forward or backwards at low speed on full-lock. Keep the tyre pressures up minimised it to a certain degree.
VanB

Post by VanB »

It is also to do with cold summer tyres as didn't do it in the warm weather either
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

Re skitter; if you've got a quiet 5 mins, google "reverse ackerman"...,.....,
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Sounds like everyone's talking about reverse/anti ackerman, but I've never felt it on any of the Macans I've driven. Usually happens on proper sportscars.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
madblue

Post by madblue »

The Macan is the first car I've experienced this with and it makes sense that running it on 21's with short stiff sidewalls it doesnt allow for any flex, and hence you feel the Ackerman effect more than usual. I've also noticed it is more pronounced when accelerating on full lock when you run over a manhole cover (I do this twice on my usual daily journey) so I suspect having less friction over these pronounces the 'skipping' effect.
Delivered end of Oct'16: http://www.porsche-code.com/PHRT3PA5