Launch Control only with Sport Chrono?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

LC doesn't always initiate on mine either; I'm aware that you have to 'punch'the throttle, it likes to be warm and I've never seen it engage in anything other than Sport+. I wasn't aware of the steering angle caveat-are there any other conditions?
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8

steve_acp

Post by steve_acp »

Launch control will work with any Porsche with pdk. I have tried it with Macan, 911 and boxter.
Engine must be at full working temperature (the oil, not the water), steering must point straight ahead, and sport button on. Simply pres brake, then full throttle, and release with a second or so. I demonstrated to my driver at Porsche experience centre with a diesel Macan. He confirmed it was launch control.

Without sport chrono, there is no displayed warning. In the diesel, if it engages, the revs will shoot to around 3800. In the boxter it was just over 5k. Can't remember on the 911.

Take off with the diesel is pretty violent because of the huge torque. If anyone is interested, I will video it with you tube.

If anyone has sport chrono with diesel s, it will be good to compare notes to see if the sc version is tuned differently.
Current Macan Diesel S Jet Black / Spiders
GTS due mid July
www.porsche-code.com/PHUAEN92
goron59

Post by goron59 »

^^ That's NOT launch control. That's just launch.
The difference of between proper LC from SportPlus and a normal brake-led launch is significant, though I wouldn't want to do the latter very often.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
steve_acp

Post by steve_acp »

Do you have sc?
GTS due mid July
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The way you describe the process seems more like a safety feature to stop the engine being overeved.

LC is just to brutal to be used, certainly I will never use it on my own SD

SC is about the gearbox map and throttle map which gives the Macan more a more dynamic drive, LC is a gimmick.

At the PEC I fully pressed the brake and only floored the throttle enough to give what I thought was the best revs, released the brake and it flew off the line, next time did the same but floored the throttle and got the lcd message that LC was active, relased brake, loud crunch and nothing, then a fraction of a second later off it went.

Still convinced a manual launch is quicker.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Colonel Klink

Post by Colonel Klink »

This thread has been a good read....

Ok, just to clarify please. I have opted for SC in a diesel. To activate LC:

Press sport+ button.
Select 'D'.
L foot hard on foot brake.
Hand brake off.
Press accelerator pedal quickly to kick down point.
Revs build, then plateau.
'Launch control activated' message in binnacle.
Release foot brake.

Correct?

Colonel Klink2016-06-16 09:29:16
Dealer buggered up my SD order. Ended up with a 2009 997.2 C4S....Now life is just one big orgasm.
steve_acp

Post by steve_acp »

I hear you, but the rev limiter on the diesel in park or neutral is around 2 k.

Following this process, which is exactly as described in the manual, but without the message on the display, the engine revs to around 3800 with absolutely NO clutch drag. Let go and boom. Why is there another rev limit?

GTS due mid July
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Do you have sc?

I have SC on my current car.
My PEC car had SC.
I didn't have SC on my previous car, but subsequently had SportPlus installed.

I quizzed the instructor about it at PEC and he just gave the smile of "if you want to call it LC, then fine, it's LC." But then more seriously: "LC requires SportPlus and deliberate and forceful use of brake and throttle. If the message doesn't come up, it's just going to be a normal launch."

The key ingredient in any LC system is optimised traction control, optimised torque/boost, optimised shift-points (if an auto box) and optimised torque distribution front-rear if AWD.

Even without Sport Plus, the PSM/TCS will just get in the way if you try a fast launch.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Colonel Klink

Post by Colonel Klink »

I have read elsewhere that for best effect deactivate PSM............Apart from that, are the steps I listed above, correct?
Dealer buggered up my SD order. Ended up with a 2009 997.2 C4S....Now life is just one big orgasm.
Paul

Post by Paul »

This thread has been a good read....

Ok, just to clarify please. I have opted for SC in a diesel. To activate LC:

Press sport+ button.
Select 'D'.
L foot hard on foot brake.
Hand brake off.
Press accelerator pedal quickly to kick down point.
Revs build, then plateau.
'Launch control activated' message in binnacle.
Release foot brake.

Correct?

That all sounds right - unless you get the specific message up on the screen then full on launch is not active.
Only experienced it in a new 911 S at PEC........awasome!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465