Did consumtion increase after update.?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Its

Post by Its »

I have a Macan SD soon three years old.

Some months ago the control-software was upgraded. One reason giving was to improve emission, I assume the NOX-issue. After the upgrade it seems as if the diesel-consumtion has increased with over 15%.

I have discussed this with Porsche in Norway. They admit there may be a small increase, but sounds to be surprised of the magnitude. Have any other forum-members noticed anything similar?

boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

Others on here, have said consumption rose by about !0% on having the DME update.

I wrote to Porsche UK, asking for some guidance about the suspected increase in fuel consumption, but could only get a verbal response from the supplying dealer, saying that Porsche Germany can assure me that fuel consumption does not increase.

As the software update is apparently for improving emissions in cold weather conditions, since we don't get a lot of cold weather in the SE of the UK, I have resisted the update.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Last week Autocar magazine did a controlled experiment, where they tested a 2L TDI before and after it had been reprogrammed by VW to remove the cheat device. Their results showed that there was a considerable increase in consumption. They put their findings to VW who declined to answer.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

My wife's Tiguan (2L 177hp) had the upgrade in April. Two tankfuls since then and haven't noticed any significant change in fuel consumption. The upgrade is for EU5 cars, I hadn't heard of anything for EU6 vehicles. My Macan is due for an Intermediate Service in July so I'll see if anything is mentioned.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I had the update some time ago and still get similar MPG - generally get 40mpg ish.
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

can confirm now with 20000 miles average 39.99, upgrade done about 4ooo miles ago with no difference.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

gasgas wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 am can confirm now with 20000 miles average 39.99, upgrade done about 4ooo miles ago with no difference.
Your average is better than the most I've ever achieved on a single tankful. My average over 18000 miles is 35.7. Perhaps I should observe the motorway speed limits more ;)
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
gasgas

Post by gasgas »

only about 25% m-way, 50%A roads and 25% in the very narrow lanes
Its

Post by Its »

Further to my initial post.
My Macan spend yesterday with the dealer. They claims that all tests shows it is ok. The conclusion must then be that the upgrade is to blame for the increase I experience.

Two comments, gasgas and ScotMac reports no increase. Is thar really on a Macan SD? If yes, then we are back to something wrong on my Macan. Unless the ousie temperatures has something to do with it. The outside temperatures here has mostly been between +5 and 12 since the upgrade.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

My SD generally gets 40 mpg + . Lots of overtaking or heavy traffic gets it down to 35 mpg. Cold temperatures also can hit consumption.

My consumption after the upgrade appeared to be worse but it settled down again.