Car Play

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My iPhone is fully up to date with its op system and Apps.

Got in car on Monday to go away for a couple of nights and plugged in the mobile and got an error unable to make connection.

Unplugged and plugged it in again and it connected and Car Play enabled.

Clicked on Apple maps and entered destination and it whirled looking for a route.

I then gave up waiting and used the PCM satnav, part way through journey clicked back into CarPlay and it was still searching.

Returned home this morning but after getting Carplay active I dialed in home for the destination and left it searching all the time we drove home.

Previously it functioned OK so I presume it is the latest IOS that is not compatible with the version I have.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

I updated my 6 last week and it still works fine on my march car
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
goron59

Post by goron59 »

CarPlay runs entirely in the phone, so if you got it running and maps wasn't working properly, then it's probably your phone, or your phone's ability to make a network connection. CarPlay can appear a bit broken if you've no network (eg what you describe is exactly what I see when I try to set a route when I'm in my underground carpark).

Obvious things to check:
  • airplane mode?
  • cellular data off?
  • you rely on wifi but wifi off, or failing to connect or wifi not connecting (I get that sometimes when the phone is connecting to the car's hotspot, but the car cannot connect because it's in an underground carpark)
  • if you unplug your phone does maps work on it's own?
You didn't say what iPhone it was, but I found latest public iOS on iPhone 6S+ is fine when testing yesterday and latest dev build of iOS 11 works ok too.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

airplane mode?
... No
cellular data off?
... No
you rely on wifi but wifi off, or failing to connect or wifi not connecting (I get that sometimes when the phone is connecting to the car's hotspot, but the car cannot connect because it's in an underground carpark)
... No, hard wired into USB port
if you unplug your phone does maps work on it's own?
... Yes

Its an iPhone 7 btw and the data connection as showing just fine and the phone was even in the signal booster holder in the arm rest.

Have just returned from going to Supermarket, and I had left it in the car when we got home. Took mobile with me whilst shopping then when I got back into the car Iconnected it and it calculated the route home.

?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

airplane mode?
... No
cellular data off?
... No
you rely on wifi but wifi off, or failing to connect or wifi not connecting (I get that sometimes when the phone is connecting to the car's hotspot, but the car cannot connect because it's in an underground carpark)
... No, hard wired into USB port
if you unplug your phone does maps work on it's own?
... Yes

Its an iPhone 7 btw and the data connection as showing just fine and the phone was even in the signal booster holder in the arm rest.

Have just returned from going to Supermarket, and I had left it in the car when we got home. Took mobile with me whilst shopping then when I got back into the car I connected it and it calculated the route home.

?
Col
Macan Turbo