Further adventures of Vodafone Automotive (tracker)

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It really is shit. Utterly.

So today, I was out in the car at around 0740, returned around 0900. Tracker service is active. Fob switched on.

At 1145, I get a text from Vodafone Automotive (still not the same as Vodafone, Col) saying my car had been stolen (well, a "theft alert").

My car is where I left it in the garage, so call them back.

"Oh well, the alerts can be quite delayed sir, if the car is in a garage."

Oh well, a 2hr 45min delay on a theft alert is better than sending a letter after a month saying they can't find your car.

If I could be arsed, and the BBC could be trusted, I'd forward my file on these clowns to Watchdog.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Retired

Post by Retired »

Junk isn't it.

Don't have it activated on current car. Activated it on previous car, not because I wanted it but just to see what it's like.

Car parked at my house out in the open with good mobile coverage (incl Vodafone).

Get in car and drive 20 mins to supermarket having left key fob at home (don't know how I missed the PCM message), spend an hour or so shopping and start drive home. Half way home get call saying car stolen. At least an hour and a half after I drove off without the fob.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

:lol:
Thats what you get when you deal with a company with Vodafone in their name.

OK so its Vodafone Automotive but if the big V are not going to interfere with the running of what was Cobra then why put Vodafone in the name to start off with.

The ethos and management practices of the main mobile arm will roll down to all subsidiaries. Its all to do with corporate ID and branding, is it not?
:lol:
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

That really is terrible. What is the purpose of it all if they don't even contact you within a reasonable amount of time. To be honest Vodafone and most other providers aren't great in general but the real disappointing thing is Porsche are associating themselves with this service.
Cobra were a great security company back in the day. Real shame to see what's happened to them.

Hope porsche find another service and provider to associate with in the future.

Alternative trackers are far superior and better response too in my experience.
GTS 😀
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

At the moment, I have a problem with the car in that it occasionally fails to recognise that a fob is present. Must speak as I find but Vodaphone in my case have been very quick to make contact: first time within two minutes and second five to eight minutes. On the second occasion (yesterday), I was in the pub and my wife was coming to fetch me. I got the alert on the phone when she started the car. It meant I was ready when she arrived :D
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Cobra used to be a well respected, reliable and trusted provider of vehicle tracking services.

Vodafone clearly saw an opportunity to take advantage of that and did what many large corporations do and muddle with something they know little about.

I may have told the story in my security post about the Bentley we had (not mine, fleet vehicle) which was fitted with trackers (yes, multiple) by the company I use and they received an alert to say that the power to the main unit had been lost.

They immediately checked the location of the vehicle, which was stationary, to determine the area it was in and then having confirmed with me that it was where we expected it to be kept a remote eye on it.

The next morning the tracker came back online. On checking with the driver I established that he had parked the vehicle but hadn't properly closed the boot.

The vehicle detected this, powered down the car to preserve battery life and when the driver returned and opened the doors the Bentley restored power which reinstated the tracker!

I tell this story because it is very important as to who you choose to safeguard your vehicle as there are many tracker installers out there but not all have as much interest in their after-sales service as they do when selling their product.

Some will only provide services once the vehicle is discovered missing and reported as stolen, they are not actively monitoring the vehicle.

16 Hours after this event Bentley called me to tell me there was an issue with the tracker, this being the one supplied with the vehicle. 16 Hours is far too late to be informed of an issue as that is more than enough time to get the vehicle within a container and en-route to a port.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver