Petrol vs Diesel - An Interesting Comparison.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

I have an SD with 7k or so on the clock and depending on driving style and road type, get 36mpg fast driving and up to 50mpg when taking it easy. If I'm pottering along, at say 60mph and am showing 44mpg and then go for some spirited overtaking, see the mpg drop to 36mpg.

Car went in for software update (not DME) and dealer lent me a similar mileage petrol Macan with 21" wheels, mine has 19". I was expecting a firmer ride and much sharper low speed performance. Not so !

The ride was just slightly more bumpy but very little difference, both cars had same suspension, response seemed identical to me, could have been driving the diesel. What what was interesting, was that if I drove the car sedately, indicated mpg was around 23-25mpg and if I 'thrashed it', it hardly varied going down only to 21-22mpg.

Can't really understand how driving style had such a little influence on consumption, unless indicated consumption was suspect.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I suspect your definition of "thrashed" is not the same as mine, or the indicated consumption was way off.
A thrashed petrol (even the I4 2.0) would be down in single digits easily.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think the indicated mpg might be a little suspect. If I coast down an incline, I can see the trip mpg average rising and think it might be painting a somewhat rosier picture than reality.

It might be more accurate to use the old fashioned manual method of logging milage vs fuel intake and seeing how that compares with the on -board display.

In my Evoque, I got about two weeks of commuting out of a fill-up. It'll be interesting to see how the Macan compares (same 60ltr tank in both cars)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I still think it is brilliant for a 2 ton, 3 litre SUV to get 40 mpg . :D

I was speaking to a bloke in a new Ford Mustang - lovely looking machine. He was getting 17 mpg. Not bad for a 5 litre V8 I thought ...........his was the 2.3 litre 4 cylinder!!!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

My SD mpg over 4000 miles is 34.1 measured by Fuelly. Have only ever achieved over 40 mpg once when my 70 year old father drove the leg from Metz to Calais on a recent trip averaging probably 60-65 mph (despite my encouragement to speed up!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I your normal journey is city driving or stuck in traffic you are never going to get decent MPG (or enjoyment :D ) no matter what you are driving.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

There is still the journalistic laziness of telling readers that Diesels cost much more than the equivalent petrol car, and it will take light years of driving to recoup the extra cost. I am aware that some of them do, but the basic SD costs £2 more than the S, and as we know, everything else is the same cost, except you can't order a lovely looky likey aluminium fuel cap on a new SD.
My SD averaged 34 ish, once saw 42 on a long motorway run. The S is averaging 26ish, it's been as low as 16, and as ?high? as 32.
I liked the torque on the S, but don't feel compromised with lower on the S. Now it's run in (3000miles), it's great to rev to the limiter, and the standard non-sports exhaust is sounding pretty good above 4000rpm. The SE on the SD also sounded good, but different.
At only 7/8K miles pa, a petrol S is the right car for me. But the SD is also a great car and engine. although a few more horses would be nice.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16