Squealing Brakes

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

I am alone with being plagued by squealing brakes on my Macan SD?

At around 15k miles I developed a horrible shrill when lightly touching the brakes. I had my OPC n Sutton Coldfield take a look on my first service and the problem was resolved for around 500 miles but has returned now several times. The car has been in a further twice to the OPC for the same problem and is about to return for the brakes squealing next week.

I have now done 28k miles and been informed there is still a good life left in the discs and pads, as I mainly do motorway driving. The OPC informs me they have deglazed the pads each time, but I am not totally convinced , as after 500 miles the squealing returns as bad as ever. In all fairness the OPC has never charged me for this work.

It has been suggested by the OPC I could replace the disc and pads , at my cost, and this should solve the problem , but I am loathed to do this if the originals are defective or the same problem will return.

Have any any others experienced this or have suggestions as to how to play this with the OPC?
Ordered April 2014 & Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGKMXG12
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/my-new-arrival_topic1808.html#33054

happy days

Post by happy days »

A few have suggested slamming on the brakes a few times to deglaze them. That's probably what the service guys did too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Macan S D
718 S
VanB

Post by VanB »

A series of hard braking manoeuvres will almost certainly sort this out. Obviously check it's safe to do so but worked on my Cayman and the squealing never returned. Others have had similar success with their Macans so definitely worth a try and it's free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

+1
Good hard heat cycle should sort it out. Take it up to 50 / 60 mph and brake HARD (in caps) down to about 10mph. Do this 3 or 4 times and then drive around a bit to let them cool befor putting the parking brake on (or you'll distort the discs)

PS As VanB says - check no-one's behind you before doing all this😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
John_M

Post by John_M »

I had the problem at about 3 weeks - only seemed to be first time I applied the brakes during start stop traffic, at end of commute on motorway where I hardly touch brakes and I am normally fair light on brakes - but squealing has disappeared after a few times of pushing car around some country lanes where brakes used more
Sandy Tyres

Post by Sandy Tyres »

I too have had to put up with noisy brakes, and I have tried heavy braking to some effect, but the squeal returns after a while