sim card in PCM

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Hi Guys, anyone know how to check if the sim card in the PCM is running 3g or 4g. I know if it was a phone you could check in the settings but not sure how to check with PCM unit??

wavestar

Post by wavestar »

Hi
The bottom left icon (on the "footer" you get on all screens) says "LTE" if you are on 4G
regards
Dave
Garage:
2017 Macan GTS (PH49T3K4)
2014 Evoque (wife's)
Dearly departed:
2010 Cayman S
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Thanks Dave, seen that and states 3g but just not sure if that's the area I am currently in? just wondered if there was anywhere in settings to save me driving around to see if it changes!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Did you not supply the SIM card to your OPC?

We understand that there is an existing SIM card built into the PCM that is or may be available, if you did not supply a card then the SIM may well be the Porsche one but you should have details of what s installed either way.

Quite a few of us here bought preloaded ones from Amazon or MyMemory and gave said card to our respective SEs.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I am pretty sure that the SIM card "signal" depends on the area / provider, just like a mobile phone.

But I was also wondering how do you check how much data credit is left on the SIM card?
We too have a pre-loaded EE SIM, but even if I log into EE website and enter the SIM phone number, I cannot retrieve this info.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 pm Did you not supply the SIM card to your OPC?

We understand that there is an existing SIM card built into the PCM that is or may be available, if you did not supply a card then the SIM may well be the Porsche one but you should have details of what s installed either way.

Quite a few of us here bought preloaded ones from Amazon or MyMemory and gave said card to our respective SEs.
Built in SIM; required to enable Porsche Car Connect. Not used for anything else wrt user PCM functionality.

The user installed SIM card will show 3g / 4g / lte etc just as your mobile does. What is shown will depend on the n/w provider,n/w coverage and what the SIM contract allows. E.g is it a 4g contract?

Really don't understand the notion of supplying a SIM car to the OPC. All the OPC will do with it is open the flap on the dash and push the card into the SIM slot. You don't really need an OPC to do something so trivial.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Retired wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:31 pm Did you not supply the SIM card to your OPC?

Built in SIM; required to enable Porsche Car Connect. Not used for anything else wrt user PCM functionality.

The user installed SIM card will show 3g / 4g / lte etc just as your mobile does. What is shown will depend on the n/w provider,n/w coverage and what the SIM contract allows. E.g is it a 4g contract?

Really don't understand the notion of supplying a SIM car to the OPC. All the OPC will do with it is open the flap on the dash and push the card into the SIM slot. You don't really need an OPC to do something so trivial.
You seem to make the assumption that everyone knows how to set up a data SIM.

The in car WiFi needs configuring and there is the potential for the iPhone to go straight into iPod mode.

My Macan did not leave the showroom until the PCM was set up correctly, and as my iPhone was seen as an iPod my SE who was setting it up was a bit stuck sorting it. Eventually one of the service guys knew what to do and it was sorted, it is easy to sort if you know what to do.

So yes, best to get the OPC to set up the systems.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

When buying a Data only sim just pop into the relevant store EE / Three etc and get them to activate it if you have issues. With Three you get an account log into it online and can see your usage etc.

Not sure I could do that with EE unfortunately so could not tell my usage. I know you can do it with normal sim but could not with Data only one. Others may be able to advise.
To check internet speed get your mobile and connect to the cars wifi and do a speed test.

Not sure OPC is required for any of this. Maybe to setup the car connect etc but not the sim.

Bottom left on PCM should show you connection.
GTS 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

PBT147 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:17 pm Hi Guys, anyone know how to check if the sim card in the PCM is running 3g or 4g. I know if it was a phone you could check in the settings but not sure how to check with PCM unit??
+1 on what most people said above.

The thing in the bottom left-and corner of the display just says how it is connected. I have a 4G "3" SIM but "3" is a bit shit where I live, so it mostly says 3G.
The PCM "phone" bit is also a bit shit compared to most modern phones, so for example my EE 4G SIM in my phone will connect to 4G and say LTE, but pop it in the car and it still only manages 3G in most cases.

Either way, the thing in the bottom left-hand corner will tell you how it's connected.

In terms of usage - my EE SIM was attached to my shared EE account and the website (or app on my phone) says how much data I had left.
I supposes things can vary, so your best bet is to ask EE. Their customer service is normally quite good.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

Slightly off topic but still on phones. My car is set to link Bluetooth to both my and my wife's phone, but even if I get in the car first to get it out onto the drive and my wife then comes out of the house and gets in, her phone ends up being the one the car links to. Even worse, one time when I was in my Macan and she was following me home after collecting her car from the detailer, she pulled up behind me at traffic lights and my car linked to her phone. The reason I noticed was that I was going to call her to say I was taking a detour on the way home via the local shop, but couldn't phone her as her phone was connected to my car!
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric