sim card in PCM

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Happens to me too. It’s associated with two of my phones and sometimes it picks the wrong one, or neither and tries to use the internal sim, which fails because it’s data only.

PCM is a bit 💩 at times.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

You can just click on the PCM and select which phone you want as 2 phones can be linked at the same time. Well with PCM 4, December 2016 delivery you can.
GTS 😀
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

Semerka wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm I am pretty sure that the SIM card "signal" depends on the area / provider, just like a mobile phone.

But I was also wondering how do you check how much data credit is left on the SIM card?
We too have a pre-loaded EE SIM, but even if I log into EE website and enter the SIM phone number, I cannot retrieve this info.
I have two SIM cards with EE on monthly contract and after logging on to "MY EE" I can select either SIM and check on the amount of data remaining for the rest of the month.

I log on with my email address and it takes me straight to the first of my 2 SIMs.

A 30 day contract may not give you this access?
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

wallaby wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:06 pm
Semerka wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm I am pretty sure that the SIM card "signal" depends on the area / provider, just like a mobile phone.

But I was also wondering how do you check how much data credit is left on the SIM card?
We too have a pre-loaded EE SIM, but even if I log into EE website and enter the SIM phone number, I cannot retrieve this info.
I have two SIM cards with EE on monthly contract and after logging on to "MY EE" I can select either SIM and check on the amount of data remaining for the rest of the month.

I log on with my email address and it takes me straight to the first of my 2 SIMs.

A 30 day contract may not give you this access?
Possibly the reason, our EE sim is just pay as you go, preloaded with data. We inherited the EE sim with the car which we bought used-approved and there was a remainder of data.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
VanB

Post by VanB »

I have had the same problem and it's very irritating
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
oldpilot

Post by oldpilot »

My new (14/9/17) Macan has a SIM embedded somewhere in it's innards - no idea where, so as mentioned above, if you present your own SIM to the OPC, they will just open the flap in front of the gear selector and stick it in the additional SIM slot.

I can't see the point of this as if you have a phone tethered to the vehicle, it is used as a hotspot thus making an additional SIM redundant.

On another tack, I'm hating the in-built GPS and the Apple Maps version. Compared with my Tom-Tom app they really are a step back. Now to find the best mount for my iPhone so I can see it. At least the Tom-Tom audio comes over the car speakers.
Retired

Post by Retired »

oldpilot wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:21 pm My new (14/9/17)

I can't see the point of this as if you have a phone tethered to the vehicle, it is used as a hotspot thus making an additional SIM redundant.

Yes, the car can get the data it requires for RTTI, Google Earth , online search, sundry apps etc from a connection via your phones wifi hotspot.

There are however a couple of advantages to using a SIM card in the car;

the car SIM uses an external aerial which should give a better signal ,

for this to work the phone needs to have a wifi hotspot enabled, most phones turn off the hotspot after a while if not used, this means you have to remember to turn the hotspot on each time you get into the car. Not very practical.

Leave your pone at home and you lose PCM functionality

If the SIM you put in the car isn't just a data sim this you can make calls using this SIM.

So easy to put a SIM in the car and just forget about it and you'll have full functionality every time you drive until the data is used up / contract expires.
happy days

Post by happy days »

bigbaldybloke wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm Slightly off topic but still on phones. My car is set to link Bluetooth to both my and my wife's phone, but even if I get in the car first to get it out onto the drive and my wife then comes out of the house and gets in, her phone ends up being the one the car links to. Even worse, one time when I was in my Macan and she was following me home after collecting her car from the detailer, she pulled up behind me at traffic lights and my car linked to her phone. The reason I noticed was that I was going to call her to say I was taking a detour on the way home via the local shop, but couldn't phone her as her phone was connected to my car!

Easy to change over. On the top LHS of the phone screen, tap the icon and change to the other phone manually.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Preloaded DATA SIM in the slot, valid for 12 months.

Easy peasy, no fuss, no fiddling switching back and forth.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Damn, damn and double damn.

Just realised that my one year SIM deal has now ended.

Sods are wanting £30 for Data that is only good for 30 days.

Time to hunt out another new SIM card.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags