Alarm keeps going off?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with the alarm on the car going off randomly? I am away on business and my OH tells me the GTS car alarm has been going off randomly over night (neighbours must be pixxed!). It seems the fob wouldn’t unlock the car and she had to use the emergency key to get in the car. Car is a 2017model,

Any ideas?

Not only am I away on business and due to fly shortly but she is also heading away with work this weekend and is having a mare about leaving a car with the alarm potentially going off all the time.

Thanks

Rigger
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Are all doors, windows, bonnet and pano roof fully closed? May sound obvious but it doesn't take much for one to be not fully closed.

If that's not the issue, try closing all the air vents in the car. Is it parked in a particularly draughty spot?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Guy

Post by Guy »

I think if you press lock twice on the remote, it disables the interior sensors (for when you are leaving animals or children in the car). Worth getting her to try that.
Paul

Post by Paul »

If Mrs Rigger has used the emergency key to get in then the alarm system will (probably) still be active. Has she tried the spare key (or is it in your pocket?!)
As Nick says, double check bonnet catches (both sides) and doors in case one of the pin switches is not quite shut. Maybe the roof is cracked open....when you unlock the car, if you hold on to the unlock switch you can open all windows and the roof; maybe this has happened without noticing?
Failing all that.....Porsche assist!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

If the car has not been used and battery low this may trigger the alarm.
Has the car been sitting around for a bit not used?
GTS 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Maybe the clue is in the fact that the fob wouldn't open the car. Is the fob battery flat? Others on here have reported fob batteries going down in a year or so.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
happy days

Post by happy days »

I had a 986 once that did something similar. Alarm going off randomly in the middle of the night. Turned out that the front boot wasn't fully, fully closed and that set off the alarm. It looked closed from the outside. Worthwhile opening everything and closing it again just to be sure?
Macan S D
718 S
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

If the car has not been used and battery low this may trigger the alarm.

Cheers all. I think it’s the above! It will just have to wait until my return as I am currently taxying to the runway. Arrrgh the neighbours are going to be even more pixxed!
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Guy

Post by Guy »

Rigger wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 pm If the car has not been used and battery low this may trigger the alarm.

Cheers all. I think it’s the above! It will just have to wait until my return as I am currently taxying to the runway. Arrrgh the neighbours are going to be even more pixxed!
Mine has sat for 3 months with the voltage dropping to 10.8V, with no alarm problems. Mind you, yours is one of the newer Macans that seems to have more electrical and PCM gremlins than the older ones! :D
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Rigger wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 pm If the car has not been used and battery low this may trigger the alarm.

Grab a Ctek Battery charger if kept sitting for a while.
Especially over the winter months as temperature will affect it even more...
GTS 😀