Delay In Selecting Reverse

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Custard

Post by Custard »

Reading the forum I get the impression that there's a designed-in delay between selecting reverse gear and actually moving backwards.

Does anyone know why the delay is there and if it's removable?

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

There has to be a delay to allow "forward motion" in the engine to stop and "reverse motion" to start to prevent damage to gears etc.. At times this delay does seem longer than necessary. I thought the delay was slightly shorter after the software upgrade.

Not sure if this is normal with "automatic" cars as this is my first "automatic".
happy days

Post by happy days »

Absolutely hate reversing up hill in the Macan - especially if it's into a tight space. It never seems to 'trickle' backwards the same way as it does going forwards, and you often have to give it a large application of welly to get the car actually moving. And if the spot being reversed into is not that roomy then it can be a rather squeamish occasion as 2 tonnes of expensive machinery lurches towards the scenery!
Macan S D
718 S
Guy

Post by Guy »

Yes it's very annoying, especially up a reverse hill! I first noticed it when I parked here - the worst thing being that it was the evening before and there were people sat outside the hotel drinking, and watching :shock:

IMG_4477.JPG

happy days

Post by happy days »

Apart from the reverse issue, I think the gearbag is one of the McCann's best features.
Macan S D
718 S
Custard

Post by Custard »

Absolutely hate reversing up hill in the Macan
Agree, I have to reverse up a 1:10 into my drive and it certainly gets my full attention!
John_M

Post by John_M »

happy days wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:31 pm Absolutely hate reversing up hill in the Macan - especially if it's into a tight space. It never seems to 'trickle' backwards the same way as it does going forwards, and you often have to give it a large application of welly to get the car actually moving. And if the spot being reversed into is not that roomy then it can be a rather squeamish occasion as 2 tonnes of expensive machinery lurches towards the scenery!
I have the same problem reversing into garage - the garage floor is very slightly above drive, got rear in tonight and slightly too slow so it stopped. It just doesn't move without some throttle in reverse, but I don't want much throttle as less than half a car's length to move before hitting shelves etc. at back of garage, so ended up moving forward then back
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

There can also be a similar delay going from reverse to drive. Noticed it this evening to the extent that I thought I had put it in neutral!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Possibly a gearbox safety measure. Going from drive to reverse while still going forwards [or vise versa] is know to bugger up auto boxes.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Not getting this at all. Feels usual and normal to me.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)