PCM SatNav traffic.

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just back from an event in Manchester it usually takes us 3/4 hour to get there, today 2 hours, total gridlock due to the transport strikes.

Did the SatNav maps show any problems, NO.

Had my Mrs plug in the iPhone and then fired up Maps on Car Play and red lines everywhere.

Has anyone experienced a drop off in the inbuilt Nav system showing traffic conjestion?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Col - The inbuilt system and traffic data updates it gets through whatever channel is 100% useless, even in Germany where the system has historically been more up to date. In Germany it showed heavy traffic in roadworks which had been removed days earlier. It wanted me to "redirect due to current traffic information" even though Waze (my preferred NAV System) informed me the road ahead was clear.

I believe Mercedes uses all (new) Mercedes cars to collect data on car speed and other parameters, very much like Google Maps and Waze do with live phone data and user inputs. The Porsche system is positively previous decade which doesn't surprise me. A friend of mine works for a car parts (systems) manufacturer Jianfeng Automotive. They are presenting manufacturers with systems for cars due for release towards the end of the next decade. With that in mind, you'll always be a decade behind the curve.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:55 pm Just back from an event in Manchester it usually takes us 3/4 hour to get there, today 2 hours, total gridlock due to the transport strikes.

Had my Mrs plug in the iPhone and then fired up Maps on Car Play and red lines everywhere.

Has anyone experienced a drop off in the inbuilt Nav system showing traffic conjestion?
Was this with RTTI ot TMC traffic info?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Retired wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:11 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:55 pm Just back from an event in Manchester it usually takes us 3/4 hour to get there, today 2 hours, total gridlock due to the transport strikes.

Was this with RTTI ot TMC traffic info?
The system just used to show traffic, then it stopped ithoug me doing anything to the settings.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I find RTTI pretty good and it is not far off the Google view.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
R850R

Post by R850R »

"They are presenting manufacturers with systems for cars due for release towards the end of the next decade. With that in mind, you'll always be a decade behind the curve."

A decade at least methinks.
I certainly find "traffic news" relatively worthless, whether via the Macan's system or local radio unless there's been a major road closure en route.
Yet around 17 years ago my BMW 740 had a small separate screen alongside the satnav which displayed in 3 colours, the real time traffic situation from gantry & bridge mounted cameras i.e. red was stationary traffic. yellow moving < 20mph and green for OK.
But nevertheless it was information you seldom made use of in that part of the world. "Sod it ~ big surprise - the M25 is red again" the alternatives weren't worth considering so just curse and sit it out.

I too have to travel frequently up to Manchester & those infuriating M6 roadworks in Staffs. with their 50mph specs are an unavoidable PITA. Only consolation is the SD doing ca. 45 mpg throughout. Then there's the recurring realisation that it's all being "upgraded to smart motorway" so presumably it'll mean ANPR cameras will require keeping to an average of 70 throughout.

Apart from the pleasure of sitting in my Macan, I no longer view driving long distances in England with any enthusiasm. But then again, I'm old, impatient and too agressive according to SWMBO in the passenger seat.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
Retired

Post by Retired »

R850R wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:50 pm
I certainly find "traffic news" relatively worthless, whether via the Macan's system
RTTI is much better than TMC .

Indicating which one is being discussed would be useful.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Got on the M6 southbound at Carnforth at 14:45 to head home before the usual freaky Friday rush started.

Sat Nav showed all clear southbound.

Got to three miles north of Junction 34 and slowed to a 10 mph crawl, Sat Nav showed clear.

Then after one mile moving slowly the red line popped up on screen.

Got to the junction and traffic was at a crawl all the way up as far as we could see.

Exited M6 and drove to Caton then on the glorious back roads to Garstang so some traffic hold ups have a silver lining.

:D
Col
Macan Turbo
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm Got on the M6 southbound at Carnforth at 14:45 to head home before the usual freaky Friday rush started.

Sat Nav showed all clear southbound.

Got to three miles north of Junction 34 and slowed to a 10 mph crawl, Sat Nav showed clear.

Then after one mile moving slowly the red line popped up on screen.

Got to the junction and traffic was at a crawl all the way up as far as we could see.

Exited M6 and drove to Caton then on the glorious back roads to Garstang so some traffic hold ups have a silver lining.

:D

Was the Real Time Traffic Info (RTTI) or Traffic Message Channel (TMC).

If it was TMC I'm not surprised. If it was RTTI I'd have expected better.
John_M

Post by John_M »

I have yet to see much useful traffic information from the in-built system (TMC only on mine) - the TomTom I have been using for years is light years ahead for traffic, but as that is running out and TomTom have been playing at alienating long term customers I have been trying out Google Traffic via a tablet on the dash for when traffic could be issue (like going to work). I have previously used TMC traffic and it was useless - one breakdown was shown for weeks and it so rarely showed anything useful I don't know why I bothered using it.