Auto Full Beam and Dip

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I find it's quite easy to remember to switch the lights on. Either I can't see where I'm going or I can't see the instruments properly until they are illuminated. I really cannot understand others driving well after lighting up time with no lights on at all. It's very common in the autumn especially.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Paul

Post by Paul »

...and in early autumn / winter morning commuter traffic....white / silver cars at 6.30 - 7.00 am when it’s drizzling / misty with NO lights on........😡
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
John_M

Post by John_M »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm I find it's quite easy to remember to switch the lights on. Either I can't see where I'm going or I can't see the instruments properly until they are illuminated. I really cannot understand others driving well after lighting up time with no lights on at all. It's very common in the autumn especially.
It is often in well lit roads - so they will be able to see where they are going and I have had instrument panels that are always illuminated with ignition - irrespective of lights. Then the people I saw looked quite young so their eyesight is probably better in low light and may not realise, I am noticing I struggle to see as well in low light as I get older
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, true, we see less well in low light as we age. I think that may be one reason why quite a few on here are so taken with LED lights. They don't necessarily project any further than xenons, but the LED light is closer to daylight in colour and so maybe more reassuring.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Rab J wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm ...but in all the time I had the Macan I never got flashed by an oncoming car thinking my lights were on beam.

I don't have the auto-dip function on my LEDs, but I have been flashed on numerous occasions by cars coming towards me, when my lights are definitely dipped. I can only assume that the LEDs are so bright, even when dipped, that the other cars think that I am on main beam. :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm I find it's quite easy to remember to switch the lights on. Either I can't see where I'm going or I can't see the instruments properly until they are illuminated. I really cannot understand others driving well after lighting up time with no lights on at all. It's very common in the autumn especially.
Which is precisely why Auto on light are brilliant for the vast majority.

Being IAM Nick you are in the top percentile of drivers/riders and have the skill, sadly the majority of drivers need all the help they can get.

I have lost track of the sheer numbers of drivers in recent months who have been driving at high speed along the Mways in the North West in poor visibilty without any lights. There was even one at 23:00 and another 15 minutes later on the M61 with no lights on at all a couple of weeks ago plus the first one did not even put on their lights when the section with overhead lights ended.

Yep, drivers need help.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I agree Col, most drivers will and do benefit from driver aids and, of course, ultimately that will include autonomous cars. Part of skilful driving includes being aware of what other drivers and their cars are doing, or might be about to do!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:26 am I agree Col, most drivers will and do benefit from driver aids and, of course, ultimately that will include autonomous cars. Part of skilful driving includes being aware of what other drivers and their cars are doing, or might be about to do!
Just had a quick trip out just after 09:00.

20 minutes there and back during a very very wet dark day.

Most cars on the road had their headlights.

Six did not have their headlights on, all were older cars and for some reason all were driven by women.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
John_M

Post by John_M »

Wing Commander wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pmI don't have the auto-dip function on my LEDs, but I have been flashed on numerous occasions by cars coming towards me, when my lights are definitely dipped. I can only assume that the LEDs are so bright, even when dipped, that the other cars think that I am on main beam. :roll:
I had that on an X3 with Xenons - when it went in for a service I got them to check, they were slightly too high (or top of acceptable) so they adjusted them down and many less people flashed me.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I agree with those that say the auto dip function is slow to react as it is usually 1-2 seconds behind when I would do it manually and it often doesn't dip at all when approaching a junction so it's easy to dazzle people turning into the road I'm on. It's not a bad system but not great either although I am a huge fan of the LED lights - so much so I am springing the nearly £1,800 (ouch) for them on the 991. Nick is correct that the light they throw out makes visibility much better for my tired old eyes.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate