Soft Windscreen or Unlucky?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Having done just over 3000 enjoyable miles in my S, I have found 3 separate small chips in the windscreen. Whilst they are small, not in line of sight and not really a problem, they are too large to polish out. I am just suprised that given that my other 2 vehicles have no marks ( with 100,000 miles between them) the Macan seems prone to this damage. Is it the aero dynamics? Is it that I am just unlucky? Or is it that the windscreen is made of a softer glass? My guess is it is the glass.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Anecdotally there does seem to be a fairly high proportion of Macaneers reporting windscreen issues/replacements on here... 🤔
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Bad roads / getting worse obviously doesn't help.

You would think an SUV (higher up) would be better. :? :? :?
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Two of the Macan I test drove had screen damage... I also have to say a lot of the issues I have read about on this forum were also present... buzz around steering wheel... sensors ( front ) going off no reason, gearbox didn’t want to change gear above 90mph...( a new car with 900miles) inconsistency in auto brake...hopeless windscreen wipers, however there’s always something no matter what car ... ( 3 new air con units on my 640d!!!) still deciding over variant I am going to choose but it pointing towards a second hand turbo, so it hasn’t put me off.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Retired

Post by Retired »

Had two windscreen replacements in about two months on my last Macan.

That's two more windscreen replacements than I've had over the previous twenty five years or so.

Statistically significant, who knows?
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I was going to say than at about 14K miles I've had no windscreen issues at all. But I'm not as I don't want to temp fate 😳
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col M

Post by Col M »

Retired wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:43 pm Had two windscreen replacements in about two months on my last Macan.

That's two more windscreen replacements than I've had over the previous twenty five years or so.

Statistically significant, who knows?
Just achieved 3000 miles from last screen replacement to requiring another!
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
VanB

Post by VanB »

2 windscreen replacements for me in 3 months too so I would go with soft glass being the culprit
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I had an Exocet missile of a stone hit the screen at 70mph on the motorway in the first week of ownership. I was convinced that was going to mean a new screen. However, on later examination I could only find a tiny mark that was barely visible. I've had two screens crack on previous cars from less severe impacts.

I think there are so many variables in determining whether a screen is going to crack or not as a result of different types of impact that it is impossible to conclude that Macan screens are more susceptible than others. Especially with such a small sample of reports on here.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

Never had to replace a screen before in 35 years so 2 in 3 months tells a tale for me. Both had cracks appear overnight in the same place after being struck by a stone the previous day even though not a big strike. Suggests to me there may be too much stress on the glass in a particular area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate