Soft Windscreen or Unlucky?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

The Macans with windscreen 'issues' haven't all been GTSs, have they...? Just wondering if it's affecting one Macan model only?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I took an almighty whack to the screen the other day, but fortunately the chip is on the black section of glass where the rain and I assume headlight detection systems are? No evidence of it spreading though? I always worry more about a bonnet ding in these circumstances.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

VanB wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:03 am Never had to replace a screen before in 35 years so 2 in 3 months tells a tale for me. Both had cracks appear overnight in the same place after being struck by a stone the previous day even though not a big strike. Suggests to me there may be too much stress on the glass in a particular area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's certainly true that residual stresses can build up in screens due to manufacturing, storage, fitting, thermal gradients, impacts, etc, etc, and then it may only take a relatively small strike to cause a crack.

Then of course some drivers are more prone due to mileage, types of road, following too close - the list goes on.

I've only had two in decades. One in a Saab when driving at 20 mph on a newly surfaced road with tons of loose chippings and the second in a BMW on the motorway in winter when the Highways Agency had kindly strewn the road surface with rocks!

Still not sure how the Macan might suffer more of these failures than other models or makes.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

It’s a large screen which in itself creates its own stresses. I also found the glass in my Cayman very prone to small chips although never had to replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate