Acceleration issues

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Musmacan

Post by Musmacan »

I recently bought a 2015 (65 plate) Macan S Diesel.

I organised the cars first service as it has only just reached 2 years and has less than 20k miles on the clock. Porsche say no faults or issues with the car at all.

My last car was an rs4 avant so am used to a bigger more powerful petrol engine but I have noticed what I think must be a problem with my Macan although I want to check as it may just be what the Macan S Diesel is like...

As an example when I am at a traffic light and I floor it on the accelerator, the car is quick and smooth 0-30 or 40 mph but if I keep the accelerator fully down after say 50/60 it seems to just make a bit of an over revving noise and the acceleration slows down quite a lot.

To get the best acceleration and noise from the car it seems to be more effective to ease the accelerator pedal more gradually and consistently down through the acceleration range.

Is this me coming from a faster car where the power is there for much longer or is there a fault on my Macan?

I would expect to be able to floor it, keep it floored and the PDK deliver best performance.

Any help or views would be really appreciated...

John_M

Post by John_M »

I don't think I have held throttle to floor from 0 to past 70mph - tbh I am not sure I hold throttle to floor much as most of the time it achieves 90% of response at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (similar to the BMW 3 ltr Diesel I have driven, they are surprisingly quick on not a lot of throttle, but floor it and you don't get much extra beyond some noise).

It sounds like the gearbox is not changing up quick enough to hold in power band at higher gears hence - it could be because of how it has learnt based on the driver. Two things to try - not as much throttle and see whether that works better (diesels have different performance characteristics to petrol) or last resort there is an a thread on here how to reset the gearbox's learnt details
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I had this been on a new Macan I had for the day... however this fault only appeared over 90mph with foot to the floor, didn’t ask why when I gave it back.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Musmacan

Post by Musmacan »

Thanks v much
I think it was a lady driver who only did short journeys before me so i’ll give that a try!
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Try a manual shift at 4000 rpm.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Diesel torque peaks at about 2.5k rpm and power at about 4K. There is no point running them to the 'red line' like a petrol engine. Does your car not have Sports Chrono? Mine does and for the Traffic Lights GP, you need to select Sport Plus. Up changes come quick and fast, just above the meat of the torque, delivering 0-60 in around 6 seconds. That is the best you can expect performance wise?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Have you tried it with the sport button pressed? Or doing the shifts manually?
Musmacan

Post by Musmacan »

Thanks all
I have pdk w sport button but not sport plus
I tried a pdk reset yesterday - 3 mins w ac off, 3 on then off, lock and wait a minute - is that really how to reset?. Made no difference
I think the issue is the timing of the gear changes
It is defo better using the paddle shift manually
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

If you are near an OPC, ask a technician to come with you and see what they say. Best way to ensure it is "normal".
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

As advised by others the turbo diesel engine benefits from the driving style mentioned. Different characteristics to a turbo petrol.

I"m sure that you've checked that the gear lever is in the right hand plane rather than the left. The left keeps it in that particular gear and then hits the Rev limiter.

The engine management system may need to "learn" your driving style from that of the previous owner. As also advised above getting the OPC to check it out makes sense.

Personally I use the SPORT button and leave it in auto (not using the paddle shifters) for rapid acceleration and maximum rapid performance.

Good luck with resolving your issue.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver