Windows frozen shut

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

This can’t be a problem unique to the Macan, but since it doesn’t easily fit in my garage like my last car, this is now an issue with the cold weather. I am often finding that the windows are frozen shut. A problem if I need to put one down to see out if it misted up or to wave my parking card at the machine when I get to work. Anyone got any solutions to this one?

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Open the drivers side window, dry the channel and spray or brush rubber conditioner or silicone lubricant into the groove. Exercise the window up and down a couple of times. Go easy on the lubricant and check any warnings on the tin for avoiding any particular material that might be damaged.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I use a half cover / roof cover for an Audi TT roadster for a similar reason. Before the door opens the window moves down slightly - not so great when the window is frozen. The cover works well.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

I use old fashioned vaseline to prevent this from happening. The only downside of using any lubricant is the dirt strip at the top of the window when lowered, showing where it catches...
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

What you need is Gummi Pflege - its amazing stuff, the 911 when you opened the doors needed the windows to drop without this stuff I would have been locked out several times :-)
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

rossman999 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 am What you need is Gummi Pflege - its amazing stuff, the 911 when you opened the doors needed the windows to drop without this stuff I would have been locked out several times :-)
Thanks. I might give that a go. I was going to try a bit of silicion grease, but I don't want to get that on the windows if possible as it will make a horrible mess and is difficult to get off.
Is there any particular one that you have used? There are couple on Amazon
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

A good big garage is required :D
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

MCDK wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:50 pm A good big garage is required :D
Fully agree. I have one. The trouble is, it has 2 smaller doors and I think it will be asking for trouble trying to squeeze in. And since I moved out my old car, my sons have set up a table tennis table where it used to be. So I don't think I will be allowed back in with the car now! Even if I did what Col Lamb did and replace the doors with a single big one. Oh well... Gummi Pflege it is.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I am certainly glad of the heated seats and the heated steering wheel is great. Well worth the extra £189 or whatever it was.