DPF question

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
BHT

Post by BHT »

What would be determined as short journeys that would/could cause DPF issues?

Most of my journeys are approximately 6 miles of ‘A’ roads, then 3 or 4 miles of town driving followed by 6 miles of ‘A’ roads back home. I realise this is a relatively short run that could potentially cause DPF problems.

Would a weekly run of say 20 or 30 miles of fast ‘A’ roads give the engine and DPF chance to do its re-gen and prevent any problems from occurring?
2017 Macan diesel with all available options.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi BHT. Seems to be pot luck if you have DPF issues. My car is 15 months old and has done 6k miles. 4,500 of those were on two European trips. The rest is a combination of short journeys in London and the odd longer trip out of town. I haven’t had any DPF issues (fortunately) but do try and allow the engine to fully heat up to around 90/95 degrees each time I drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

This is personal opinion, but I would say your regime sounds pretty good to minimise the chances of DPF problems. I would also recommend you use a premium fuel such as Shell V Power or BP Ultimate and avoid supermarket fuel at all costs.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Caster

Post by Caster »

Interesting question BHT. Manual (+ OPC service guys) say a regen can take place when engine warm and you travel at 37+ mpg, at over 2k revs for approx 20 mins. Those criteria can be met by driving in manual mode to keep revs up etc so I guess your weekly "fast runs" could do the business - as long as the filter was actually clearing itself out during them!

Personally, I'd just enjoy the SD (if you've got it/when you get it) and see when you get the first, if any, DPF warning sign - then give it a blast as above to clear it. Do the regen for full 20 mins though - not just till warning light goes out.

My first warning came after about 1k miles when I'd been steadily running it in (old school habit!) - did my clear out and all seemed OK till it went into "see Dealer" mode after about 10k miles and I had to have a regen done at the OPC. Others will tell you different tales of when needed/how easy to sort and even not needed etc but, as you imply, I'd say a "good blast" every now and then should certainly work in your favour.
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A local diesel tuning guy I was chatting to a few weeks ago says the biggest problem with GPF's is not the journey length, but that the cars aren't driven hard enough to get up to temperature quickly. He believes this is why some cars have no issues even when usually only driven round the doors.
So the moral of the story is forget trying to 40 MPG if you want to have no DPF issues.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Caster

Post by Caster »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:02 pm This is personal opinion, but I would say your regime sounds pretty good to minimise the chances of DPF problems. I would also recommend you use a premium fuel such as Shell V Power or BP Ultimate and avoid supermarket fuel at all costs.
I'm with you on the Shell V Power Nuclear Nick. I've only ever used Shell diesel + was using V Power for approx 2k miles before I needed my recent forced regen - gonna stick with the V Power though! :)
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Rab J wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:03 pm A local diesel tuning guy I was chatting to a few weeks ago says the biggest problem with GPF's is not the journey length, but that the cars aren't driven hard enough to get up to temperature quickly. He believes this is why some cars have no issues even when usually only driven round the doors.
So the moral of the story is forget trying to 40 MPG if you want to have no DPF issues.
I don’t like to push them too hard until the oil is over 90 degrees. However with normal driving it’s 8-9 miles to get to that temp.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I also have always used Shell V Power and I drive mine permanently in Sport mode, so maybe that has helped with no DPF issues. Hard to know. Incidentally, adblue light just come on at 6,500 miles.

No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
VanB

Post by VanB »

If the manual says 20 minutes at 2k + revs then it is difficult to achieve in anything other than manual mode as these are very laid back units when cruising even at motorway speed. Perhaps this is the root problem with DPF issues?

Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It's all a bit of a grey area. I was going to change my style of driving after hearing about DPF issues but have just continued as normal. I only use sport mode for overtaking normally.

I don't do many long runs but also don't do much city driving. Confusing.