Refill coolant

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Any brand can break down, the first DB9 I saw was on the back of a lorry at the dealers being taken back to the factory. Brand new and dead!

Don't mention Maserati, my last Ford had disintegrated after five years.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Sorry to hear of the problems Marra.
I hope your dealer is at least dealing with it all and have a solution for you. And a good loaner šŸ˜‰.
For me itā€™s about how problems are dealt with as any brand or item can have a problem.

Hope you get no more issues and itā€™s hard when coming from a faultless car previously.
GTS šŸ˜€
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

I notice my coolant level is a few millimetres under minimum. I feel a bit of a Ginny running to OPC about it but donā€™t know what to do about it. Tempted to lug in a pint of tap.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Marra

Post by Marra »

Tom 2000 wrote: ā†‘Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 pm I notice my coolant level is a few millimetres under minimum. I feel a bit of a Ginny running to OPC about it but donā€™t know what to do about it. Tempted to lug in a pint of tap.
When I spoke to the OPC, the guy was 100% certain there would be nothing wrong with my car but suggested I bring it in for testing for my peace of mind - they are now talking about the possibility of taking the engine out! If in doubt, take it in, it's what the warranty is for.
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

If a vehicle is 'using coolant' it begs the question, "Where is it going?". Well, it's:

1. leaking from the cooling system to the outside

2. leaking through a flaw in the head gasket and getting into the oil - which would result in higher 'oil' levels

3. leaking through a flaw in the head gasket and into the combustion chamber and getting turned into steam.

1. should yield some sort of trail. BMW techs add a dye to the coolant, then use a black light to look for any
seepage.

2. will result in oil that looks kind of like a milkshake - and is losing its lubricating properties as it's contaminated
with (water) coolant

3. will reveal itself in clouds of white (steam) exhaust - or maybe not clouds if the leak is tiny.

A properly running vehicle should NOT 'use' ANY coolant. What that dealer or dealer rep said was close to pure
sh*te...

:shock:
Marra

Post by Marra »

PSEE wrote: ā†‘Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 pm If a vehicle is 'using coolant' it begs the question, "Where is it going?". Well, it's:

1. leaking from the cooling system to the outside

2. leaking through a flaw in the head gasket and getting into the oil - which would result in higher 'oil' levels

3. leaking through a flaw in the head gasket and into the combustion chamber and getting turned into steam.

1. should yield some sort of trail. BMW techs add a dye to the coolant, then use a black light to look for any
seepage.

2. will result in oil that looks kind of like a milkshake - and is losing its lubricating properties as it's contaminated
with (water) coolant

3. will reveal itself in clouds of white (steam) exhaust - or maybe not clouds if the leak is tiny.

A properly running vehicle should NOT 'use' ANY coolant. What that dealer or dealer rep said was close to pure
sh*te...

:shock:
It's the first of your options. The technician pressure tested the coolant system and found a leak - current problem is that they haven't identified exactly where the leak is - they believe it is coming from the cooler and have ordered one.
Macman

Post by Macman »

Did the new ā€œcoolerā€ fix the problem? Iā€™ve noticed my 1 year old S using coolant slowly over the past few weeks. I agree with those who have said these cars should use no coolant at all, so I suspect a small leak somewhere. It always helps dealers if you can tell them about other peopleā€™s experiences of leaks, so Iā€™m interested in how you got on.
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S