Refill coolant

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

On the 928 it can take a couple of thousand miles to eliminate all the air after a full change so you might have not had a full fill from the factory.

On our Skoda the level dropped so I popped in a bottle of Barr's which fixed it for another six years when we traded it in for the 911.

I wouldn't advise that on a Porsche under guarantee!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab

Marra

Post by Marra »

Left my Macan with the OPC this afternoon, they are going to pressure test the coolant system over night. Gave me a Cayman to get home in.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Marra wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm Gave me a Cayman to get home in.
Oh no....how will you cope!!😉😉😂😂
I hope you are going to drive it sensibly....😈
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Marra wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:17 pm Thanks as ever for the advice here. I spoke to the dealership this morning and a few things came out. It is unusual to see the coolant level drop but not altogether unheard of without a leak. I explained that I had topped up the reservoir and that the level hasn't moved since. I can't see any obvious signs of a leak.

My options are; call Porsche Assistance and have them deliver the car to the dealer where they will run a pressure check - benefit here is that I would get a loaner. Take it to the dealership and leave it overnight, so that it cools down completely but no loaners available until later in the month. Or, carry on to see if it happens again and if it does, call Porsche Assistance. I'm of a mind to take this option.
The "tank" you are putting coolant in acts as a header to the cooling system. If you top it to the maximum when the engine is cold then the header could fill when the engine is hot and dump coolant. When you next check it with a cold engine you appear to have lost coolant. As long as the level in the header is above minimum when the engine is cold there is nothing to worry about.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Marra

Post by Marra »

Just had a call from the OPC - my car DOES have a coolant leak, somewhere near the back of the engine. They are investigating, apparently this is new to them.

Very disappointing - first Porsche, 1200 miles and an issue like this, lots of BMWs and never a single problem.
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Marra wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am Just had a call from the OPC - my car DOES have a coolant leak, somewhere near the back of the engine. They are investigating, apparently this is new to them.

Very disappointing - first Porsche, 1200 miles and an issue like this, lots of BMWs and never a single problem.
Sorry to hear about your problems Marra, I've also come to Porsche from many thousands of miles in BMWs with no problems. My Macan was uplifted in France in the middle of December with the dreaded and well known transfer box issue, still not got my car back. Not impressed with this supposedly prestige brand. Pretty sure it'll be back to BMW for me at my next change.
Hope you get your car sorted quickly.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Marra

Post by Marra »

Hi Andy, I hope you get sorted out soon too. It is disappointing but I do love the car and just hope that this hiccup is soon forgotten and doesn't tarnish my experience too much.
Marra

Post by Marra »

lots of people on this forum planning their 2nd, 3rd, 4th Porsche - my first experience has been CR&P! Apparently my car needs a new "cooler" which they think (they're not entirely sure) is where the leak is coming from - on order from Germany, should be here by "about" Wednesday next week.

1200 miles, car leaking from new apparently - it will take something spectacular to get me to buy another Porsche, that's for sure. So much for a so called "premium" brand!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hopefully once sorted Marra you’ll see what great cars they are and change your mind. I’m only on my third, but do struggle to think what other brand I would buy instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Paul

Post by Paul »

+1
I’ve run dealerships in the past with various franchises; it only takes one poorly manufactured component from an external supplier to take the shine off a car. It’s how the dealership diagnose and deal with the rectification process which will decide whether the customer will return to the franchise.
Modern cars are a hugely complication collection of bits and bobs from all over the place (see recents threads on USA assembled mirrors on Macans and so on) and only as strong as the weakest link.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465