Refill coolant

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Marra

Post by Marra »

My Macan has just warned me to refill coolant. I checked the level and it was below minimum. The car is 6 weeks old and done 1100 miles - is it usual to lose coolant? Should I get the car to the dealer to check it out?

Paul

Post by Paul »

No, not usual at all, and yes, get to the dealership (or call assist)

Its a sealed system and you should “ never” need to touch it.
Last edited by Paul on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Doesn’t sound normal Marra. I’ve done 7,000 miles over 15 months and never seen that message. Just had my first adblue refill message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

I had not received any warning messages but whilst my S was with OPC recently they carried out a 'health check' and reported coolant on minimum after 14 months and 10,000 miles. They topped up and checked for leaks, but found none. I'd never before had to top up coolant on any car, so was a bit surprised, but OPC assured me it was not unusual and often done during servicing, so customers may not be aware.
Paul

Post by Paul »

rydercowan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm I had not received any warning messages but whilst my S was with OPC recently they carried out a 'health check' and reported coolant on minimum after 14 months and 10,000 miles. They topped up and checked for leaks, but found none. I'd never before had to top up coolant on any car, so was a bit surprised, but OPC assured me it was not unusual and often done during servicing, so customers may not be aware.

Not disputing what the dealership said to you.....but where did the coolant go.....?😉
(You’d have to assume the level was correct when they supplied the car!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Paul wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:47 pm
rydercowan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:31 pm I had not received any warning messages but whilst my S was with OPC recently they carried out a 'health check' and reported coolant on minimum after 14 months and 10,000 miles. They topped up and checked for leaks, but found none. I'd never before had to top up coolant on any car, so was a bit surprised, but OPC assured me it was not unusual and often done during servicing, so customers may not be aware.

Not disputing what the dealership said to you.....but where did the coolant go.....?😉
Good question. I have no relevant technical knowledge, but could hazard three possibilities -
- the coolant level on delivery was incorrect, as you suggest
- tiny air bubbles were present in the system after filling, which gradually dislodged
- there was some air dissolved in the coolant when the system was filled
Others will have much better understanding of possibilities, but the OPC was quite sure there was no need to be concerned, and I'm relaxed as I have nearly 4 years of Porsche warranty left.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Paul wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Possibly a bit of air somewhere in the system when it was filled at the factory that eventually worked its self out over the first few miles. I would imagine that the dealership would check and top up to see if the level drops again before going deeper.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Had a problem with my wife’s Land Rover losing coolant. First they said it was a leak then decided that it was using coolant somehow. She didn’t understand the explanation - maybe it was b/s.
Marra

Post by Marra »

Thanks as ever for the advice here. I spoke to the dealership this morning and a few things came out. It is unusual to see the coolant level drop but not altogether unheard of without a leak. I explained that I had topped up the reservoir and that the level hasn't moved since. I can't see any obvious signs of a leak.

My options are; call Porsche Assistance and have them deliver the car to the dealer where they will run a pressure check - benefit here is that I would get a loaner. Take it to the dealership and leave it overnight, so that it cools down completely but no loaners available until later in the month. Or, carry on to see if it happens again and if it does, call Porsche Assistance. I'm of a mind to take this option.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I would go with the last option and keep an eye in it. With my wife’s car, we took a photo of the reservoir every Saturday morning with the car parked in the same place. It was then obvious that the level was falling