LED bulb replacement and radio interference

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
PaulC62

Post by PaulC62 »

Replaced the poor standard halogens with LED bulbs (from Aurora bulbs) and now have terrible interference on the radio. FM is un-useable and DAB fades in and out badly.

Read this article

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/201 ... eadlights/

Bought ferrite beads - fitted - no change.

There is talk on the web of ‘VAG based cars’ needing an earthing kit.

Any ideas/help please would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

It is a pity that you did not join the forum before you locked the spec or bought your Macan for everyone here with a Macan would have advised to include at least xenons.

Given that the new bulbs are causing interference I suggest that you contact the manufacturer or supplier as they are obviously not fit for purpose.

RFI is a problem with all modern cars and the effects of the electronics are engineered out. It is another reason why the Interior Light Pack costs what it does as it is not just a case of adding a couple of extra lamp units and replacing the bulbs with LEDs.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Paul, just might want to consider that I don't think its legal to fit after market LED headlight bulbs and could get pulled by plod for having them. If that doesn't happen I doubt that they would pass the MOT, not that's an issue just yet for you.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50