No stop/start, no coasting

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

I must confess, I would be quite pleased if my cars auto stop/start stopped working - save me having to press the darned button, every time I switch on?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S

happy days

Post by happy days »

Why would coast mode be affected by the battery voltage? If coast is engaged, the engine is still turning over and therefore the alternator is still putting out considerable voltage. I fail to see how the two could be linked. But what the hell do I know?
Macan S D
718 S
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

gtipirelli wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm I expect that it is because you do lots of short journeys and during the winter we use a lot of the electrics for defrosting, heating, lighting etc

Expect you just need a good long run to fully charge the battery

Out of interest, what sort of mpg were you getting compared to now
I was getting about 28mpg (2.0 petrol), this is in winter with lots of short journeys (typically only 3 - 9 miles), the engine not up to operating temperature most of the time. But the last tankful was only just over 25mpg.

I get about 30 in the summer months, a little more on long runs. I measure actual usage, rather than rely on the mpg shown in the display, which seems to show over optimistic values.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Col M wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 pm
Makanik wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:49 pm Many thanks for the responses.

To answer some of the queries, the car is a 2 litre petrol - so not DPF related. Cruise is generally off. I can’t get either function to work even with most electricals switched off (apart from air con which I leave on auto permanently).

But I have used seat and wheel heating quite a bit recently, on lots of short runs. So I think I’ll give the car a good run and see if the battery perks up and things start working again!
You really needed an excuse? What voltage was the car battery status showing?
The voltage shows as 14.9v. In the display. I’m not sure what’s normal?
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

happy days wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:59 am Why would coast mode be affected by the battery voltage? If coast is engaged, the engine is still turning over and therefore the alternator is still putting out considerable voltage. I fail to see how the two could be linked. But what the hell do I know?
It's not voltage per se, it's the amount of power, or current at the nominal voltage, that the alternator can supply, and that power is not fully available at tickover. It's probably not giving full power until 2000 rpm engine revs or more.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Makanik wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:54 am
Col M wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:21 pm
Makanik wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:49 pm Many thanks for the responses.

To answer some of the queries, the car is a 2 litre petrol - so not DPF related. Cruise is generally off. I can’t get either function to work even with most electricals switched off (apart from air con which I leave on auto permanently).

But I have used seat and wheel heating quite a bit recently, on lots of short runs. So I think I’ll give the car a good run and see if the battery perks up and things start working again!
You really needed an excuse? What voltage was the car battery status showing?
That would be the normal charging voltage with the engine running.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Makanik wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 am
gtipirelli wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm I expect that it is because you do lots of short journeys and during the winter we use a lot of the electrics for defrosting, heating, lighting etc

Expect you just need a good long run to fully charge the battery

Out of interest, what sort of mpg were you getting compared to now
I was getting about 28mpg (2.0 petrol), this is in winter with lots of short journeys (typically only 3 - 9 miles), the engine not up to operating temperature most of the time. But the last tankful was only just over 25mpg.

I get about 30 in the summer months, a little more on long runs. I measure actual usage, rather than rely on the mpg shown in the display, which seems to show over optimistic values.

Ok that is a bit less than ours but your journeys are shorter. We get mid 30’s in the summer and very low 30’s in winter. We have a mix of journeys but not a lot of regular short ones. On a long run with the family on board (mostly the journeys I do in it) we get mid 30’s which I am happy with given the weight of the thing
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

I think given the regular very short journeys you are doing, the mpg you are getting is quite impressive
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

nsm3 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:55 am I must confess, I would be quite pleased if my cars auto stop/start stopped working - save me having to press the darned button, every time I switch on?
Me too :D .If I am not city driving I find it a pain.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Makanik wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:54 am

I'm still finding my way around the numerous functions, how do I access the battery voltage display?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)