Map update

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 am
CharlesElliott wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am It doesn’t help but your OPC seems to be confused between a PCM firmware update (I’ve been told the same on timing) vs a map update.
Quite so....eventually I had my OPC's technician come to my house and do the 2018 map update using his laptop.
Great service! Is Swindon or Bristol your OPC?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Swindon
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
muxty

Post by muxty »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:19 am
CharlesElliott wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:12 am It doesn’t help but your OPC seems to be confused between a PCM firmware update (I’ve been told the same on timing) vs a map update.
Quite so....eventually I had my OPC's technician come to my house and do the 2018 map update using his laptop.

See this previous Forum thread.....www.macanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... it=sat+nav
This feels just so old school. Just imagine if you would have an Apple technician coming to your house to update your phone to the latest software. Car manufacturers need to get their act together. To date it's only Tesla who understand this.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It does seem quite barbaric in 2018 that you need to get a technician to do a data/software update. Or limit your OTA updates to twice a year.

Apple and Google get it right. Even Tesla gets it right.

These things should be continuous (or weekly, monthly) OTA and if the user wants to put limits on data usage, then have a conversation with them about the cost of a few MB data vs the cost of their car.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I made the same point to Porsche Connect support - that it should be up to me to worry about data usage, not them forcing me to limit it.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Even my G-Shock auto updates the time every day at around 2am!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Just so I completely understand the situation... if our Macans are still under the original warranty, ie under 3 years old, we qualify for 3 map updates during that period ie one per year? Or does it only apply to certain MYs and/or packages?

It would be very useful to know the position exactly as OPC will have my car all day on Friday.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Correct Dandock. My SA checked with Porsche GB when I bought my MY17 Turbo in September '16 and just to make sure I had it written into the sales contract. I don't know if it is model related but at that time the Turbo had navigation as standard. Only problem is I've not yet succeeded in getting them to do any updates! I think you're Tewkesbury aren't you, same group as my OPC, so will be interested to hear how you get on.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Yes I’m with Tewkesbury and like you have a MY17 which was the first iteration that came with Nav as standard. They did an update I think at the end of Y1 and I’ve occasionally asked about it since. They’ve always said that they’d checked but having done so found nothing. I’m not particularly optimistic but we’ll ask.

It would be helpful to know the exact circumstances by which it has happened from others as all knowledge is power.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

As you know there's quite a bit on this if you have the time and energy to search :roll: , but have a look at SAC1's post on page1 of this thread. I'm pretty sure I recall one or two others getting whole database updates done by their dealers.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold