Why you should never give it full throttle from cold..

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

BigPhil wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:03 am
Found driving to work was best in 'off-road'. Puts the power equally front & back and to give the Macan his due, very sure-footed in the snow and frozen roads this morning despite having summer tyres on.

BigPhil
That's very interesting....what maximum speed do you keep to in that mode?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

alxgb wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:43 am
N13LXC wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 pm
Tim92gts wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:15 pm Zero and minus one this morning, cruised over a very wet field ok on the way out but there was only just enough grip to get back slightly uphill.

Not too bad as i can see a two tractors stuck from our conservatory!
My Wife's Golf GTD is stuck halfway up a hill to our house...wide tyres + torque = not moving...tried all the normal things, and nope...it's hopeless in the snow...the merc on winters is far more compliant.

the A6 allroad is behind a foot of snow just now too, but it's on the drive...and I'm not moving it!
My GTD got stuck on an embarrassingly shallow incline. I couldn't pull off in second even in manual so snow socks on and it was fine. Mind you, the tyres were 14 degrees below their minimum operating temperature!
Glad it's not just me then!

I think it's a combination of factors...I'm considering trying in reverse at some point. but it's not a simple straight road... few turns, junctions and driveways to negotiate.
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

I've found that ensuring you're in Eco mode which pushes the car up the gears sooner for economy on the mapping makes it a bit more willing to change into second if you can get enough forward momentum. Turning off traction control also works to pull off and then turn it back on as soon as you have purchase.

Never had snow like this and expected a straight shift to manual to work like a manual gear box. Oh no. That would be far too easy.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:00 am
BigPhil wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:03 am
Found driving to work was best in 'off-road'. Puts the power equally front & back and to give the Macan his due, very sure-footed in the snow and frozen roads this morning despite having summer tyres on.

BigPhil
That's very interesting....what maximum speed do you keep to in that mode?
With the snow on the road, I never got above 35mph on the 10 miles to work at 5.30am. To be fair, that was as fast as I (and every other driver) was happy with. I'm sure I could have gone faster, the car seemed quite happy, only difference was the raised height of the AS and PASM settings changed.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Col M

Post by Col M »

Think off road is only available below 55mph. Though I'm unclear whether it deactivates, if already selected, and you exceed 55...or if you're allowed to go over 55 when in off road mode.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You can only select it when travelling below 55mph.

From the manual:

Off-road mode remains activated even if the driving conditions change, e.g. if the vehicle is then driven on the road. The transmission and chassis control systems then adapt to suit the changed driving conditions.

But if you have air suspension:

If the vehicle is traveling at more than approx. 75 mph (120 km/h) when off-road mode is switched on, the vehicle is automatically lowered to normal level.
If the speed drops to less than approx. 25 mph (40 km/h), the vehicle is automatically raised to terrain level again.
If off-road mode was deactivated, the vehicle is lowered to normal level above a speed of approx. 9 mph (15 km/h).
Off-road mode must not be used on public roads since the prescribed installation height of the reflectors can be exceeded in off-road mode.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

I used off road last night to good effect. Seems to lengthen the throttle travel, puts the suspension into sport +. (no height difference as I don’t have air)
I was in manual keeping it in second or third and not over 30mph but it coped very well.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm I used off road last night to good effect. Seems to lengthen the throttle travel, puts the suspension into sport +. (no height difference as I don’t have air)
I was in manual keeping it in second or third and not over 30mph but it coped very well.

...as your YouTube video clip illustrates... :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018