Worrying All Weathers comment from Porsche UK

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Although I can’t find the original thread about AWs being dropped from the configurator I did say I would ask Porsche.

This is the response I’ve had!!! :o :o :o

The Porsche Macan Petrol (2.0 engine) and Porsche Macan Diesel derivatives can be specified with All Weather Tyres.

Other Porsche Macan petrol models including the S, GTS and Turbo cannot be equipped with All Weather Tyres as this is due to the speed and performance of the vehicles. Alternatively, both winter and summer tyres are available for these models.

I trust the above provides you an understanding of Porsche’s position.

This begs loads of questions not least of which, as the cars haven’t fundamentally changed in 3 years, are those currently shod with AWs safe. And all that leads on from that!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It's all just bulls**t as far as I am concerned. :? :? :?

Most Porsche owners will never get anywhere near the limit of the AS tyre. A great chance for Porsche to sell us another set of overpriced wheels and tyres. :D
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm It's all just bulls**t as far as I am concerned. :? :? :?

Most Porsche owners will never get anywhere near the limit of the AS tyre. A great chance for Porsche to sell us another set of overpriced wheels and tyres. :D
My thought exactly. The only possible variable is the tyre manufacturer. Have they changed horses?. If not it suggests our cars are unsafe and I, for one, would want two fullest of tyres plus cost of storage so that I comply.

And if the diesel S is OK then why not the petrol? not such a huge difference. And why are they OK for the US - land of litigious lawyers?

I've asked Porsche what's changed - I'll post their response.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:57 pm
ScotMac wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm It's all just bulls**t as far as I am concerned. :? :? :?

My thought exactly. The only possible variable is the tyre manufacturer. Have they changed horses?. If not it suggests our cars are unsafe and I, for one, would want two fullest of tyres plus cost of storage so that I comply.

And if the diesel S is OK then why not the petrol? not such a huge difference. And why are they OK for the US - land of litigious lawyers?

I've asked Porsche what's changed - I'll post their response.

Strange that they are standard fit in USA and no cost option in Canada.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Lol, the performance difference (in real terms) with the exception of the Turbo, is negligible and certainly not something to be choosing tyres specs around?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

I specified all seasons on my MY17 petrol S and when I took delivery there was a prominent sticker inside warning that speed should be kept below a certain figure because of tyre limitations. I immediately removed the sticker and can't remember what speed was quoted, but I think it was 140mph. Whatever it was, it was academic as far as I was concerned.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Also, I recently bought two new tyres for my car which has all seasons as described by Porsche. Michelin themselves who make the Latitude HP Tour tyre don’t even class it as such. They categorise it as a summer tyre anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As Porsche no longer offer AS because they say they are inadequate, and as the performance of Macans hasn’t changed, does this make tyres as fitted also inadequate; and if so does this invalidate our insurance?
Paul

Post by Paul »

So you can’t get AS but you can get winters tyres on a S , GTS or Turbo.......nonsense!
Are these rated to the max speed of the car?
I echo the “bulls**t” comment by Scot Mac above.....😉😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:07 pm As Porsche no longer offer AS because they say they are inadequate, and as the performance of Macans hasn’t changed, does this make tyres as fitted also inadequate; and if so does this invalidate our insurance?
If you have all seasons on a petrol Macan I think you would be justified in demanding that Porsche UK replace them with the Michelin Sport summer tyre as clearly Porsche are now saying that they are not suited for purpose in Europe. Suggest owners contact Porsche customer service dept.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.