Tailshaft Bolts Snapped

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Mattspies

Tailshaft Bolts Snapped

Post by Mattspies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:00 am

Hi Guys

First post from Australia...

Was driving a few mornings and went to overtake a car and halfway through I heard a ping and what sounded like a pinball machine in the back.. 😳
Got under the car and saw this... 2 Tail shaft bolts were missing. Towed to Porsche and the bolts actually snapped off....
Covered under warranty with a new Differential and Driveshaft with upgraded M10 Bolts
Early model Macans has M8 bolts which now have been revised and M10 bolts are now the normal...
I think this should have been a recall on all early models with this design fault.

Guy

Re: Tailshaft Bolts Snapped

Post by Guy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 am

Good morning and welcome to the Forum!

Well I had to Google 'tailshaft' but now I know that you are talking about the 'prop shaft' it is quite disconcerting. Did you take a photo? Also, when you say 'early model' what years are you talking about? What year is yours?

(EDIT: I just had a look at the US forum and there's a couple of threads reporting missing bolts, plus a couple of photos.)
Last edited by Guy on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 am

That does sound like a significant design shortfall, if the bolts are being overstrained in normal service and failing as a result. Clearly the fix is not just to change the bolts as it sounds like the drive flanges will not accommodate that, hence the replacement of diff and driveshaft. Unless of course they were damaged in the event.

I wonder if this vehicle has been subjected to unusually heavy loading perhaps? Major off roading, serious towing, many launch control starts? While such things might cause the failure, and it might therefore mean that the vast majority of cars don't suffer such a failure, it doesn't excuse a design fault. But it's interesting that a mod seems to have been introduced at some point.
Nick

Macan Turbo, collected 6/9/16 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHPDB6Z7

911 C2 GTS, collected 8/3/18 - http://www.porsche-code.com/PJKUPBX8

Mattspies

Post by Mattspies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Mine is 2015 model and I did take pics of the two missing bolts and the aftermath of when it was fixed.
I’m not sure how to post pics on this forum though... Apparently models 2016 and above have this issue fixed with the larger M10 bolts.
I don’t have Chrono so no LC although it did happen when I went to overtake and it kicked down applying load at that time.

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Mattspies wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:41 pm
Mine is 2015 model and I did take pics of the two missing bolts and the aftermath of when it was fixed.
I’m not sure how to post pics on this forum though... Apparently models 2016 and above have this issue fixed with the larger M10 bolts.
I don’t have Chrono so no LC although it did happen when I went to overtake and it kicked down applying load at that time.
There you go, I had copied it off your fb page, pleased to see you on here.

7A2841AE-D2B4-4D59-A3F7-56B85F27C588.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" courtesy Pink Floyd.
2016 Panamera S e-Hybrid Met Black/Cream
S VG/Luxor, sold @ 1yr old/9700 miles March 18
SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 1 yr old/16k miles Dec 16

Return to “Issues & Technical”