Loud crackle from rear speaker

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Hi. My turbo has the Burmester hi-fi installed and I've had an issue twice now with what turns out to be the rear nearside speaker.
I first heard this noise whilst driving and it sounded very much like wind noise, but loud. Loud enough to be heard whilst driving on the motorway. The noise went away once I stopped the car.

The second time was today.

I'm sitting in the car, just on tick over and I hear the noise again, this time it's louder because I don't have the added background noise.
I switched the engine off and the noise continued, it was clearly coming from the nearside rear speaker, the one mounted in the parcel shelf area. The noise disappeared once the can bus shut down. The noise is a crackle/static noise.

Clearly there is an audio problem but one that's going to be difficult to show the dealer as it's not happening all the time.

Anyone else had similar issue?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Not on a car stereo but on my hi fi speakers. It sounds like a faulty driver unit. You probably need a new speaker in that unit. When I had this happen shortly after buying a set of speakers they replaced the faulty drive unit and it sorted the problem
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Ian.g wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 pm Not on a car stereo but on my hi fi speakers. It sounds like a faulty driver unit. You probably need a new speaker in that unit. When I had this happen shortly after buying a set of speakers they replaced the faulty drive unit and it sorted the problem
Thanks for the input.. but.. there is always a but.. I would have thought a faulty driver unit would make that noise constantly and not randomly?
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Dry joint maybe?
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

jk88 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:37 amDry joint maybe?
Again thanks.

I don't think so, if it were a dry joint or a faulty driver I would imagine the noise to stop the moment power to the speakers was disconnected, this isn't happening, firstly the noise is completely random so difficult to show in the first place but more weirdly, the noise continues one the car is turned off until the can-bus goes into sleep mode.

I would guess it's some form of EMC issue over the can-bus that's the problem. How on earth I'm going to show a dealer that is the question. I struggle to show them a knock or bang because the car decides at that particular time it wants to behave. Lol
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Try sound recording when it happens; then you can play back it to your OPC, ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:13 am Try sound recording when it happens; then you can play back it to your OPC, ;)
Yeah I tried that also but forgot that when I opened the driver's door with the engine off everything goes into sleep, so when i jumped into the rear to record it, the sound had stopped.. lesson learnt, so will have to wait for it to start again.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

uktivo wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 pm
Ian.g wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:57 pm Not on a car stereo but on my hi fi speakers. It sounds like a faulty driver unit. You probably need a new speaker in that unit. When I had this happen shortly after buying a set of speakers they replaced the faulty drive unit and it sorted the problem
Thanks for the input.. but.. there is always a but.. I would have thought a faulty driver unit would make that noise constantly and not randomly?
Not necessarily. I appreciate that this may be different and can only speak from experience, but it was noticeable at certain frequencies of sound which seemed to bring it out. The man in shop demonstrated it by touching the kevlar cone when it was playing and pushing it in one direction made the noise. If yours is making the noise when the stereo is not playing noise then it is probably a different issue. Dry joint (as suggested above) is another possibility - i have had that issue before as well!
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

Ian.g wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 am
uktivo wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:13 pm
Not necessarily. I appreciate that this may be different and can only speak from experience, but it was noticeable at certain frequencies of sound which seemed to bring it out. The man in shop demonstrated it by touching the kevlar cone when it was playing and pushing it in one direction made the noise. If yours is making the noise when the stereo is not playing noise then it is probably a different issue. Dry joint (as suggested above) is another possibility - i have had that issue before as well!

Thanks. It's on my snag list...
Ideally need to record the noise before it goes in.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
jrsmacan

Post by jrsmacan »

My now year old Macan has just started with the same issue, however mine has the Bose upgrade. The crackling is coming from the rear offside speaker contained in the D pillar. It is doing it even when the radio is off and the keys have been taken out of the ignition - up until the point the car fully shuts down.

Looks like another trip to the dealer looms..